the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp cutting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Anyway you go with this amp, it will not do what you need it to. Either replace the amp or replace the sub with a single voice coil model.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Noob I too am from Southern California! What part are you from?
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
ummmm i live in between San Diego and LA.......its a town called temecula
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I know where Temecula is, it’s in the Inland Empire 909. I live In Los Angeles
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
yup exactley.....its a boring place....where at in LA......you live in the actual city or just LA county?
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
I live in The San Fernando Valley near the 101 and 405 in Sherman Oaks.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  

I think you're okay with the components you have.  Even though your subwoofer is rated for 400WRMS, that doesn't mean you have to supply it with 400 Watts.  250 Watts is an appropriate amount of power for that speaker.  It's a bummer that you're not getting the full 500 Watts out of that amp that you would get bridging it into a 4-ohm mono load, but it's the best you're going to be able to do without swapping out some of your gear.

Now for the tricky part.  If you run the amp in stereo mode, and put one channel into each voice coil, you have to make *certain* that both voice coils are receiving exactly the same signal.  If you don't, then one amp channel might be pulling the voice coil one way, and the other channel might try to pull it the other way, causing a loss of power or speaker damage.  Someone else mentioned using a Y-splitter to make sure both inputs on the amp get the same signal, but you also have to match the two gain controls exactly.  Here's how:

Get a test CD that has a bass-frequency test tone, like 40 Hz.  Connect up one channel of the amp to the sub, play the test tone fairly loudly, set your gain for that channel and measure the AC voltage across the speaker terminals.  Write that number down and disconnect the speaker.  Now, connect the other amp channel to the other voice coil, play the same test tone at the same volume, and adjust the gain control on the second channel until the voltage matches what you had before with the other channel.  Now you can reconnect all the wires, and you know that your gains are matched so that when both channels get an identical input, they'll produce an identical output.

Scott Gardner

astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=Durwood]

but you also have to match the two gain controls exactly.  Here's how:

Only 1 gain on a 2 channel amp isnt there? Good info though

Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

You're absolutely right - there's only one gain control on a stereo amp.  I was confusing this with another install that had a four-channel amp bridged into two channels, each driving its own voice coil.

Thanks for catching this.

Scott Gardner

Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys alot of the newer stereo amps from fosgate do have individual gain controls for left and right. Just wire the sub in series to an 8 ohm mono and bridge the amp. this is the same as 4 ohm stereo but will be safer on the sub and you dont need a y  adaptor.
Steve@A.E.S
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic