icon

New to mobile electronics. Have Q’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Dont worry about *IF* it can get hot enough. LOL, it can warp metal in your vehicle, given enough time and fortitude.
The one thing about these units to watch out for, assuming you don't solder alot.
Is that they do heat up very fast, so there is no real waiting for them, compared to a corded unit.
The dial / setting are not exactly 100% accurate as to the temperature being set for.
In the field, or even in the shop, most people will not use a soldering iron which is rated over 45 watts. Most people use soldering irons around 25 watt to 35.
The only reason to have a higher wattage iron is to be able to use and apply very (heat) hi-rated solder, which you will see in the industrial field where I work.
On a board level repair, or in the automotive vehicle repair, you will use a lower wattage unit.
If I was to suggest a soldering iron, it would be for a variable heat range unit, like the snap on, or the Weller units.
Maybe I am spoiled, or have been accustomed to having a digital display indicating the heat range for me. But, it makes job easier knowing the solder will flow quickly without burn off.
As for where to find alternatives. I would suggest that you take a few moments to search the web under electronic hobby stores and such.
As the exact same Snap-On unit is sold under another name, at half the costs. If I can find the web site I will leave the link for you here.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Blue Point = Snap On in disguise, I like the butane as I also use a Crappy Tire butane torch, 2 items, 1 fill, no batteries to wear out, but to each his own, as long as the job gets done.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
i use a matco butane iron model ppsk. it is fifty buck on the web site... i paid 80 off the truck. matcotools.com is the site.
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

I am 100% set on buying a cordless model. Did a Jeep Cherokee today and used my old A/C Gun, man.. that sucked!

After work yesterday i drove and called around looking for a cordless, battery operated soldering iron. Tried sears, nothing. Tried home depot, nothing. Tried nearly every hobby store in town and nothing. Finally came across one at a no-name local warehouse type tool shop. What a peice of crap! I mean, its a soldering iron! My kids have toys built better than this stuff! and on top of that, it took 3 AA batteries.. not even rechargable (unless ya use rechargable batteries that is)

I think im going to go with a butane model from matco to start off with and eventually stop avoiding snap-on and buy his rechargable battery operated on.

Anyways, for Matco irons, there are a few to choose from, and i hope to god he has them on the truck tuesday!  the models to choose from are here:

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/crossreference.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2356&si=35978

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/crossreference.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2356&si=35978

which one do you matco users use? anything you like dislike about it? The differences (in pictures) seem very minimal to me.

BTW gang, 96 and 01 windstars.... anything special i need to know now? Get those to start on in the morning. Have a universal bypass box sitting in the shop, hopefully just the 01 needs it.. gonna look it up now

Thanks guys!

mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Im a dope... the matco PPSK and the matco T110k not the links above.... The T110k is oddly enough higher in price.. thanks
Cityauto 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

The Blue point $80 dollar or so one is the way to go , ive tried the weller ones, (lousy when its 15 degrees out) had the matco one, lasted about 6 months before it got all clogged up, and the ultra torch by master appliance, was decent but the tips didnt last more than 10 installs.

The blue point has its issues on occasion like the brass insert that needs to be put back in all the time (easy enough though) and a quick solution for those that are hard to start before you light them... fill em up and let them sit in the heat of the defroster, they light real easy when real warm.

As far as install prices of course you have to charge more for additional relays, miscelaneous parts , and labor

example car 2004 trailblazer: with the following

valet 562t  $130 labor $100, 555L $40, Labor 30, 455g $50, labor $30

want panic ? $20, want dome light supervision $20

all said and done $231 including tax for parts $200 for labor Total $431.00

Total install time all wires solders taped and loomed and ty-wrapped 1 1/2 hours. now of coouse if your using different products and your costs vary your prices should reflect that change and /or to remain competetive to some extent till you build a quality reputation. weve been in buisness 17 years, Ive seen alot of shops come and go , even though their prices were better. that was generally because they used inferior remote start brands, they spent more time on comebacks that they coulnt make money on new customers.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic