icon

Power Inverters and Distribution Blocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p1209 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

I'm currently running 0 Gauge wire from my battery to the rear of my 02 Durango and 0 Gauge ground.  I'm using a Streetwires Distribution block that distributes both power and ground. 

Now for my dilemma?  I just purchased a Coleman power invertor rated at 2000 watts.  It came with 2 gauge positive and negative cables.   There is also a ground lug.  According the the owners manual it states to connect the red positive cable to the postive terminal of the battery and the black negative cable to the negative terminal and to ground 4 gauge wire to the vehicle chasis.

I'd really rather connect at the rear of my vehicle.  Couldn't I just hook this up like and amplifier to my Dist. block?   Could I just run the 2 Gauge power wire to my power terminals in the block and the 2 Gauge "negative" wire to the ground terminal on the same distribution block (my dist. block had both power and ground in the same block).     This would put the 2 gauge black wire to the chasis instead of to the neg. terminal of the battery?  If i do that would i still have to use the ground lug and still ground to the chasis, this would make 2 grounds to the chasis?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, I just assumed when I ordered this that I could hook it up in the rear of my Durango like it was an amplifier and use my existing power and ground already back there?

Thanks for any help!!!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with what you want to do, with all that 0 gauge running for power / ground and the proper distribution blocks in use, you should have no problem doing what you want to.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
i would like to see more replies on this topic myself. i am having similar concerns. i contacted the manufacturer of my inverter and they said under no condition should i chassis ground both negatives. they would not give a reason. i called mmultiple times hoping to get an answer. one tech said that if one of the grounds fail and i touch the chassis of the inverter i become the new ground OUCH! he siad there were multiple reasond that it should be- wire hot and ground to the battery and additional ground to the chassis.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Misterjimbo,
Technically speaking the battery is not ground. The (-) is the negative battery terminal which starts the current flow process.
Once the battery is terminated to the vehicles chassis, then, and only then is it a ground plane.
The idea behind running a ground directly to the batteries negative post is to reduce the potential difference, if there are any.
If the chassis is used as the ground plane for termination of any equipment, there will ALWAYS be a potential difference in resistance compared to the battery, no matter how small it may be.
That is because the frame of the vehicle is not one whole piece, and the sheet metal exhibits resistance in various degree's depending upon weld thickness, rivets, and paint-primer applications to the unibody.
So at the end of the day the basics still apply in regards to proper grounding.
1. Cable length should be as short as possible.
2. Cable diameter should be properly applied.
3. Ring / spade terminals should be of adeguate size to ensure proper surface area is mated to the chassis.
4. Proper preping of the surface area to remove paint-primer to ensure a clean free contact.
5. Install a star washer to any ground plane to reduce the resistance, corrision, and to ensure maximum current flow.
6. Apply dielectric grease compond to the area to prevent moisture and to promote current transfer.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .   
p1209 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

Teken!

Sounds like you're in the know, would there be a problem with connecting the negative terminal of the inverter to the chassis instead of the negative post of the battery?  And if it would work would I still have to use the ground lug on the inverter and connect that to the chassis as well?

Thanks

P1209

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2003 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
No problem connecting to chassis ground. Could you please explain to me what you mean by the ground lug?
Is this a secondary ground plane that needs to be affixed to the vehicle to make it operate, or is it to ensure a measure of safety for the case?
If you have a web site link to the product, I can answer you better.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
p1209 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Teken,

From the sounds of the instructions the "Ground Lug Terminal" is just a safety measure for the case.  The owner's manual states:

"Locate the Ground Lug Terminal at the rear of the inverter.  Run a wire from this terminal to a proper grounding point using the shortest practical length of 4 AWG wire.  You can connect this wire to the Chassis of your vehicle or to the grounding system in your boat.  When in remote locations the ground wire can be connected to the earth using a metal rod driven into the ground.  Before connecting the ground make sure the inverter is off.  Operating the inverter without correctly grounding the unit may result in electrical shock."

Based on the above instructions it sounds like its merely a safety measure to prevent a shock.  I have no problem running the Negative Wire to the Chassis AND another 4 Gauge wire to the Chassis from the Ground Lug.  But is 2 grounds to the Chassis necessary or safe?   Everything in the owners manual states to connect to the Positive and Negative terminals on the battery and from the Ground Lug to the Chassis.  I'm trying to avoid having to wire this thing up front because it would be more convienent in the rear for tailgate parties at the Philadelphia Eagles Games?

Here's a link to their website and my model but it does not provide to much more information!

http://www.colemanpowermateworks.com/items/showdetl.cfm?&DID=30&Product_ID=138&CAtid=4

Thanks for all your help and info!

Brian

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Brian,
Yes, as it was stated before you may use the existing power distribution block in the rear of the vehicle to supply negative and postive source for the invertor.
And fasten the *Ground Lug* to the vehicles chassis frame.
You are then, good to go !
BTW: Very nice invertor . . . Power Inverters and Distribution Blocks -- posted image.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
p1209 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Teken,

Thanks for all your help!

I actually bought the inverter from a Coleman employee selling them on ebay!  If you or anyone else is interested his Seller ID is:  harpo12345

The seller (Tom) was great, he promised that I'd have it before the Eagles/Dallas game and when shipping was delayed he paid an extra 20 buck to overnight it to me!  He's selling various wattages also!

Again, Thanks for the help

Brian

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
May I ask what you plan on powering with this monster inverter?
Also, please be aware that the invertor can only supply the current the vehicles charging system can sustain.
So, hopefully you have a high output alternator for supplying enough current when it is needed.
Regardless of that fact, you will have a huge head room of safety when you want to power that 9999999 " TV.
Power Inverters and Distribution Blocks -- posted image.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic