Nakamichi H/U tuner's strength?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sm951 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm looking at the newer Nakamichi head units and have heard negative comments about the strength of their older models' tuners.  Does anybody know if the newer models (i.e. CD 400, MB 75, CD 45Z, etc.) have improved tuners?

I like the simple looks and quality of the Nakamichi head units.  Can anyone recommend other units with similar qualities?

Thanks!

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Nakamichi makes excellent head units and they are defiantly not underpowered. I would also suggest that you look into Eclipse http://www.eclipse-web.com they have excellent sound quality and a very basic look to them. But I would say Nakamichi, Eclipse and Alpine are defiantly some of the best units out their

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

I use a CD 45Z in my personal car and can say it is one of the best sounding mid-priced HUs I have ever had the pleasure to own.  I assume by "tuner strength" you are talking about radio reception?  Most aftermarket heads have somewhat "weaker" radio reception than most factory OEM units, but in general I am pleased with the AM and the FM reception on my Nak using the OEM car antenna.

Cheers.

sm951 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

Yes, I was referring to radio reception.  I heard the older Naks had weak reception, but the SQ more than made up for it.  My car (1986) has the radio antenna embedded in the windshield, so the radio reception might not be that strong to begin with.

What about reliability?  There's also been concern about them breaking too soon and poor service from the factory.

BTW, the CD 45z is one of the best looking HUs I've seen.  Maybe I'll get one if more people have had favorable experiences similar to yours...

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

I've never had a problem with Nakamichi products, neither auto nor home electronics.  Their SQ is top five as is construction quality, and their amp ratings are "real world" ratings that are often very conservative indeed.  Nakamichi, Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten) and McIntosh are comparible in many ways.  FM reception with an imbedded windshield antenna will probably be acceptable, but if you need more signal strength you could add an antenna amplifier.

I highly recomend the 45Z over the lower-end 40Z that can still be found on eBay, by the way.  The 45Z uses a 20bit DAC with 8X oversampling and includes three sets of 4V pre-outs along with a true 45x4 wpc internal amplifier.  The 40Z does not have the 20 bit DAC system and has fewer pre-outs and less power.

sm951 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2003 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Where's the most inexpensive place to buy the 45z?

Does the 45z have selectable colors for the display?

Is the CD-400 newer than the 45z?

Thanks again!

DYohn 
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

- probably eBay

- No.  It comes in green or amber from the factory.

-Yes, it is the replacement.  I haven't had a chance to hear one yet.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

A lot of the 45z's had problems playing burned cd's. Pure Car Audio has some good prices on Nak headunits http://www.purecaraudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=239

Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2003 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
In my BMW i have full Nakamichi system and i can tell you is a system that rivals most home stereos,I use the cd 40z and 4 of their amps.For speakers my front stage consists of Mb Quart Q series and rear fill is taken care of a two way Focals,for sub i have an a/d/s/12",last years top of the line series (in a sealed box).I also use an eq from PPI and a soundfield procesor from BBE.
I do have to say that their radio reception is not the best,in my car my antenna is in the glass as well and i have to use a radio antenna booster and problem is taken care of.I also read that some Nak's have provlem reading burned cd's ,mine plays them without any flaws.Their new models like cd 400z are even better.I have my system in my BMW for over a year now and haven't had any problems,super reliable.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic