icon

strobelight diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
-doh- 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged  
anyone here have a good diagram on how make a 12v stroblight??? i want to drill a hole in my headlight hosing & add a strobelight bulb... any help???
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
There are plenty of diagrams on the internet for making strobelights so if your REALLY interested just try searching the net..If you just want some strobes in your headlights though I would buy the premade ones. Plenty of companies sell them like street glow, lite glow, and a bunch of other knock offs. The time and money (not that the parts would cost too much) involved in making your own from scratch would hardly be worth it unless you just want a project to do. It's much more complicated than just buying a flash tube and hooking power up to it. Good luck,
Mike
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
I stronly agree with NowYaKnow premade strobes are the way to go, getting the transformer and all the other parts is relly not even woth it in my opinion...
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Try this Link for a 12v strobe project.

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/strobo_12v.html

Here is the Diagram

strobelight diagram -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

if you want REAL strobes, and you want them to be custom, not rigged, go on ebay, search for whelen strobes -- you'll get hits like these...

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3647724167&category=39667

that's for the push in grommet type strobe lamps - with the NECESSARY cables for them, and you'll need something like

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3646985722&category=396

that is a 4 strobe controller, you can get ones that have more or less strobes they run, and you can find them cheaper, or more expensive - i've installed plenty of these.... if you're really wanting to, you can get different colored strobe bulbs too - one word of advice, unless you're in emergency services, don't get caught running these on the street.  anyone can buy them, but running them on the street will get you in some big trouble should you get caught.

Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

a couple other bits of advice

A strobe light has enought power in the capacitor that will knock you on your ass for a few minutes,  so after powering make sure that you wait 5 minutes before servicing

the other thing is make sure even if you use a grommet make3 sure that you seal it with either dumb dumb tape or a gasket maker. that way no water will get in.

don't fowl the track
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
yes - when you get the cables for those (assuming you buy the ones i showed you on ebay - or similar) -- make sure when you get the bulbs, and the cables, that you get the connectors with the weatherproof boots.   it will make life much easier.  also - get the cables, don't try to just run wire.   the cables have 3 wires running inside a shield - unless you're going to run 3 pieces of coax or a piece of twinax and 1 coax (and possibly ruin it anyhow from the impedance being all messed up), you will end up with some real loud strobe noise coming thru your audio system if you don't use the shielded cables that are reccommended.  if you do nothing else, get those bulbs if you're going to insist on building your own power supply.  all you need is a 1" holesaw (you can get one at any hardware store, i reccomend using a continuous blade saw, made of one solid blade, not a universal) to install them.  you can use a step reamer bit, but half a second too long, or one little jerk, and the grommet wont be the kind of sweet fit that a perfect 1" holesaw will make.  i've installed stobes in tons of fleet vehicles, and using the shielded cables, 1" holesaw, everything goes together without a hitch, and it goes together quick and professional.   like the guy in the last post said, it will loop ya - if you are doing any kind of testing, even after shutting off the strobes, you can get the livin sh#@ knocked out of you by the power supply if you inadvertently touch the strobe wires.  think about it, it's like grabbing the hot end of a timing light on steroids.  i'll tell ya this though, those links i showed you, that same stuff from an outfit like Lhear autoelectric would cost you 3x the amount you can get it on ebay.... if not more, plus they charge something on the order of $80 an hour to install it!  crazy.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic