icon

fiberglass box ideas for 12'' sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
hey this is my first time posting here. but i need some ideas for a fiberglass box for a 12 inch sub please help me
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
You could make a mold then make the speaker ring be further in than the outside of the mold to give it an offset look. Like make the sub be inside the mold instead of poping out. i plan on doing this somtime
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2003 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the idea i just might do that it sound like a cool idea
Dustinsmithone 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

I have never used fiberglass befor,  How do you make the fiberglass the shape you want it, do you first make a mold, and if so what do you make the mold out of?

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
fiberglass or MDF.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you search through these pages some more, you'll find some links to some great tutorials.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact links.  Usually when building a fiberglass box, you'll make a mold of the floor, or wherever it's going.  You'll make some mounting baffles out of MDF to mount the woofers.  Then you'll use some dowels or something similar to position the baffles where you want them, and hot glue it all together.  After that, trace the footprint you'll want the box to have (where it meets the floor, or interior panels), and cut it.  Now take some stretchy cloth, like fleece from WalMart, and stretch it over the speaker baffles and hot glue it down over the edges.  Resin over this, and you have your shape.  You can now add fiberglass mat to give it more strength.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I just remembered.  If you go into the Mobile Video forum, up near the top, you'll see a link on how to install headrest monitors.  Click on that link and scroll to the bottom.  You'll see an awesome how to for exactly what you're doing.  Here's the link: http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/install_notes/step_by_step.htm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic