icon

what amp for 2 12 kicker L5?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neco 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  

i have 2 12 kicker L5. daul 4ohm wired to 2ohmd each. i need a new amp. i was thinking the kicker kx1200.1 or the jbl1200.1. i never used any jbl stuff i have heard good and bad about there amps like they don't put out that many watts and they blow up fast. but then some say they put out more and there great amps. i've had lots of kicker stuff never had any problems with them. i had 2 12 xpl's hooked up to a zr1000. pounded the crap out of them never blow or nothing the kid i sold them to still has them.

but what amp do you guys think i should got with. jbl or kicker or maybe a diffrent amp. i'll be running them at 1ohm with those amps..

EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hinfonics Brutus BX1500D. 1500 x 1 @ 1 ohm at 14.4 volts, so it should put out a little less in the actual vehicle, but for the money it is a great buy.  I have heard many people rave about that amp. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Try to stick with an amp that can be wired for high current, Hifonics say they can handle loads under 1 ohm but they also drain batteries and their signal to noise ratio is less than desirable.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
I would defiantly go with the JBL 1200.1, its an excellent amp and will be an perfect match for your subs. Disregard any of the BS you heard about quality or reliability, they are very reliable, put out a strong clean signal and are affordable, you cant ask for anything more then that.
kickin02galant 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
you have kicker subs, stick with a kicker amp. I have a kx1200.1 and it rocks. the birth sheet on mine says 1550watts. just make sure you have a decent cap.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Eh!, noobie - kickin02galant, not to knock ya, but does Ford build the best tires to go on their own vehicles? Choose the best amp for the job, not the matching brand necessarily, Kicker does build some fine gear but there are many other amplifiers for the person to consider. Adding a cap is not necessarily the best idea, read some of the cap threads and you'll get the lowdown on caps and charging systems. Post up some info if you need help or want to learn, someone will answer you. For neco, any amp that produces around a minimum of 800watts rms at 1 ohm mono would probably be more than adequate. If you have more power available, like the great amp bberman recommended, that would be best, it is a really bad thing to underpower a speaker when you want to play it at max all day long, if you are not this type then the amp that makes the 800w rms @ 1ohm mono will do a great job for you. Have a look at the Lightning Audio Storm x1.1000.1D, it is a good amplifier with a fairly low price, just like the JBL bberman recommended.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sracing85 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I have a question have you guys ever delt with the bigger altenator? They will usually jump you up some power like a 300amp or 250 amp. This will increase what you need to feed. Then a cap isnt just a bandaid for the problem trully at hand also, jumping up your power wires for your charging system will allow your vehicle to eat more juice up. I am running the memphis bell 16-st1300d.
This amp powered my whole system with an adjustable regulator, I can boost the juice an make it rock a little harder when the guy next to me thinks he has got the best stuff an payed tons to much.
"The beast from the hills"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic