icon

Burned Power Antenna Relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ashman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

My Hirshman power antenna, which has the Cellular phone attachment to it does not go up or down. it is an AUTA 6000EL, and has a burned out relay inside of it. Buying this relay seperately is not possible, and I don't want to shell out the expensive price for a whole new antenna when all I need is the relay mechanism. After finding this site, I figured that someone here will be able to tell me how to wire upt he antenna using one of the below methods. The antenna works fine if I apply voltage to the motor with the wires reversed or connected to the 12v normally. - In all scenarios I have listed, I want the relays to cut power tot he antenna when the antenna reaches all the way up or down, when it detects more load on the motor than is needed to put it up or down. I.E. soemthing to detect the extra load when the antenna reaches fully extended or when it goes all the way down.

I know one of you electronics geniouses will be able to work this out for me, and it would be greatly appreciated.

What I want to do is one of the following methods:

1. Wireup aftermarket 12V relays to put the antenna up when the radio is turned on and then put it back down when the radio is turned off (using the radio's power antenna blue wire.

2. If option 1 can't be done, wire up a two way rocker switch which is int he following configuration - 3 wire connections ont he bottom, and the button can be pushed forward or back but normally rests in the center if released to have one direction make the antenna go up, the other to make it go down.

3. in the best scenario,  I would like to wire up some 12v relays to receive the trigger from the radio to put the antenna up when the radio is on, and then when the radio is off, the relays need to reverse polarity to the motor in the antenna to put it down, I would also like to be able to use the switch I mentioned to manually be able to intiate the antenna going up and down if I want to while the radio is still on. 

The antenna inside has the motor with a green and red wire. if I apply 12v and ground to them in one direction the antenna goes up, if I apply 12v reveresed, the antenna goes down. so I would need either a diagram on how to wire up the relays to achieve what I want to do.

I am quite good at wiriing and using a soldering iron, and I know how to take apart my car and run wires and such, so with the diagram I should have no problem making this work. I would prefer option 3, as when I drive and don't listen to the radio, but listen to a CD or My XM Radio, I can put the antenna down at will. I also do not use the cellular portion of the antenna, so I don't need it to go up when the cellular phone is turned on as I have removed the factory cell phone from the car and don;t plan on using the antenna for an aftermarket hands free kit as I already have a windshield mounted cellular antenna for my hands free kit.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ashman

hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Try these guys.If it's high-end factory, they can deal with it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic