icon

Class D digital amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  

I don't have any first-hand experience with "class D" digital amplifiers, but I saw an ad for a PowerAcoustik model that supposedly puts out 2300W RMS into one ohm, and costs just a little over $300. Even if they're wildly inflating the power numbers, that still sounds like a hell of a deal. I paid almost that much for a Linear Power 2202IQ (about 375W RMS mono) in 1991, and $300 is about what I paid for the used Precision Power A1200.2 (1200 WRMS mono) that I'm using now.

I know that digital amps are bandwidth-limited, making them more suitable as subwoofer amps than as full-range amps, but are there any other drawbacks to this design?

Scott Gardner

jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
They sound like crap.  I dont know why but I have had alot of experience with them and they just dont cut it for quality.  They do put out a high wattage and do well with rap and the like but if you compare it to an equal power class a amp they suck.  Great for space limited installs because they are generally alot smaller for the power.  Also they dont suck as much power.  Just keep your PPI amp.  If you want more power just feed more into your amp.  Use a cap and make sure your alternator can keep up.  Use large enough power wire and use good connections.  Check for voltage drops.
richs 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Currently, class d is only useful for subs, and then you will typically have other problems. Class D amps have high-frequency switching power supplies which create high levels of RFI and EMI radiation which can get into other components and cause noise. Typically radio reception will suffer the most with all kinds of noise. Right now, I would not recommend them for anything other than a paperweight or door stop.
Best Regards,
Rich
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I don't agree with that statement, I think class D amps are excellent in what they where designed for, subs. While they are not useful for full range applications they are great at what they do. I have used class D amps from both JL Audio and Memphis Car Audio and while these amps are by no means cheap I was very satisfied with their performance.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
I also do not agree with the findings, I have used the full range Xtant Class D amp in a vehicle for center channel applications, this amp was designed from the outset for an application just like this. While most class D amps are optimised for subs, it will not be long before you see more of them in the full range applications, just like the arguement when single bit dac's were introduced back in the day, "they had excessive crossover distortion", hmmm how many cd players now use a single bit dac?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic