icon

massive whining noises in system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, i just got done re-wiring everything in the car as alot of things were changed...I have a head unit crossover/eq in dash..one amp to power, front component's, rear components and subs...it is a 4 channel   8 ohm load left front 8 ohn load right front 2 ohn load on the rear bridged....everything worked fine till today when everything was placed back in the vehicle..i get massive alternator noise and thuds durion cd track change and others...i thought bad ground....re grounded everything amp radio and crossover...still the same...i got to the point where i can use a mp3 player directly to the ampand jumper the 12+ to the remote to kick the amp on     NO NOISE that way....i thought maybe something was wrong in my head unit but to make sure i jumpered a 12 volt source from another car and grounded the radio to another car and there is no noise in the system...    I tried going stright to the battery of the car the system is in and the noises are a little les but still severe...tried a noise filter on both power wires for the radio still noise...what could be wrong?   have you ever had cases of noise from a battery?   i can hook everything up in another vechile and it all works fine....if i run the cd player off the 12 volt power at the amp there is noise 12 volts at the dash noise, at the battery   noise,, fuse block noise....12 volts from another car works fine.....what went wrong???????   help
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Check rcas with new, also might be a voltage regulatyor problem.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
i have checked by running new rca's didnt fix the problem at all...as far as a voltage regulator prob i dont see why that would go bad all the sudden...i have always had a little whine but have been able to fix that using noise blockers    the car is a 98 honda civic ex...i have had many diffrent systems inside of it and have used it to test various pieces of equip..I am so puzzled because i can get a clean signal at the amp using something not hooked into the vehicles power..a.k.a a mp3 player or laptop..and if i use the cd player and eq or anything from the system in another car it all works perfect...so i know none of the hardware is bad....i checked wires behind the dash..all seams fine, and if i go stright to the battery for power it still has whine....thats why i elimanted the regulator...the only think i can think of is the battery????    never in my life had this problem    and i am so confused
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

When you reran the rcas did you make sure that they weren't picking up any noise from some power wires or something?  Maybe rerouting them might help a little.

Otherwise check your headunit's ground.  Maybe, if you didn't already, set up it's own clean, secure chassis ground, nearby.

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

I just realized you had an eq and crossover in the dash.  Did you try to bypass these to get a clean signal?  Also, are they all tapped into the same ground wire?  Maybe they need to be connected individually directly to the chassis, also.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
maybe people dont read the whole post.....i have re ran cables...i have even tried running them on the celing...that far away from a power source!   i have re grounded every thing mulptile times even to the chasis and block even the batter and ground block for the amp....i have re ran power to battery, ignition cloum, amp, the only time it works is powered from another car....the rca's are not the problem   the equipment is not the problem,,,there is a problem in the electrical system in total in the civic..because no matter where i power it from i get noise..battery, amp, dash, ignition colum..tried everything i can think of and still confused as sh*t...help me out here please no dumb replys   like check fuses or re run rca's   they are stuck to the celing right now and they have been everywhere..
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for trying to help.  I missed the part where you said it worked fine in another car and you can never be too careful with rcas for noise problems.
eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

chill jeff.

i assume it's only when the car's running. maybe try changing your spark leads. these can be a major noise source if they're old and starting to break down.

in my car i had a crossover near the power cable and was getting noise through there. the strange thing is it only started getting interference when i added a capacitor at the other end of the car. i'm pretty sure you got that covered by playing your mp3 direct to the amp but i'm just writing whatever i can think - even if it's not the fix maybe it will spark a thought for you.

if you want to stuff around trying stuff, try running a speaker direct from your headunit outputs ie no amp, to see if the noise is really in the headunit.

2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Did you try the equip on the bench to see if it is defective?  Maybe you already answered that.  I didnt have time to read all of the posts sorry.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
alright, everyone can call me a hugh retard!!!!even thought this is somthing i never expected...if you have this problem try this, take out your battery..check the water levels, in my case the battery was totally dry!!!! i was gettin 14.2 volts with a meter everywhere, but i really had a battery about ready to die..try this if you ever have this problem,, i have no internal noise what so ever now besides the beautiful system that i was so frustrated with...thanks for the help sorry for gettin violent, i was very frustrated i have never heard of this prob and or seen it before but i learned
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic