Best material to build boxes with?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

What's the best material to build a box with?  I would like to keep spending down to a minimum, I was thinking some 1" MDF?  1" HDF just seems so pricy.  Any and all opinions and comments are welcome.  Thanks.

--mindctrl

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
3/4 MDF with bracing is fine. (unless you have some extreamly high spl sub)
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed 3/4" MDF is the choice 90% of the time..Certain times you can get away with 1/2 and sometimes people go the extra and use 1"...My choice is 3/4" MDF if it's a real high power application just use extra bracing and you may want to double up the face of the box to support the subs more..I've used 3/4" particle board before that works well too but I'd still prefer MDF. I think 3/4" mdf for a 4 x 8 sheet at home depot is like $15 - 20 but I haven't checked in a while. Good luck,
Mike
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
3/4 MDf or some use plexiglass or fiberglass....fiberglass is nice to form and custom fit time consuming and somewhat expensive
Csr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
im also building a box   my questions how often do i space the braces?
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  

depends on the size of the box. also the material can be related to the size of the woofer and the size of the box. For instance, if you are building a sealed box for a 10inch MTX 8000 (really small box) you really could get away with 5/8inch MDF. that is the smallest I would ever use. Like they said up there, SPL is a factor too. The average Joe on the street who isn't a competitor can get away alot with building a box for two 12s out of 5/8 mdf. The audiophile on the other hand, would want something alot more rigid/stronger.

I once read in a Kicker manual years ago that if you are building a box for 10inch subs or smaller (8s, 6.5s, etc) you can use 5/8 inch MDF. For 12s and 15s, nothing smaller than 3/4 inch MDF. 18s can be 3/4 if the box is well braced but it was actually preferred (and I agree) that you use 1 inch MDF.

As for braces, my contention has been to put a brace on any area of the box that is just plain huge and open. As you see, there isn't any scientific approach to it! Best material to build boxes with? -- posted image. Really it depends on the size of the box and just what you plan on doing with it. A box for two CompVR 12's to sit behind the seat of a single cab chevy truck wouldn't really need a brace in it, other than the center divider. A box for 4 Kicker 15L7's (the Solobarics) on the same plane (or rather same face of the box) in a common air enclosure (no dividers) would need a brace, in fact several braces. That woudl be a BIG box.

Hope this helps you. I've been building boxes now for 14 years. If you need more info or want to know if I have a specific design, PM me.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

3/4" MDF is the best compromise material between the rigidity you need and the weight you don't need.  It also wins in the cost category.  Just don't use particle board, and don't use 1/2" plywood.

I usually install a 1.5" to 2" wide brace anywhere there are unsupported walls inside the enclosure that are half the woofer diameter or greater.  Meaning, if the enclosure is for a 12" speaker, I'll put in a brace every 6".  But I have no scientific basis for this, just what fells right to me.  :)

Check out this resource: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/caraudio.htm

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
3/4 to 1 inch MDF
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
you could use 3/4 then get some fiberglass and coat the inside with 2-3 layers of the fiberglass, this will help a lot with air leaks and strength.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  

3/4 mdf......

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic