icon

Companies that make senors,modules ect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I was just curious to know what other companies make sensors and other modules  other than DEI that is ... .and where are they available?  and the more important question is are they reliable?
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
I know that wil DEI you are paying for the name quite  a bit.  I would like to get some more input on this whole ordeal also.  I have used cheaper no name sensors before without dissappointment but I don't know if my input should be very valid because I work more with audio and have probably only done about 20 alarms in my lifetime.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Almost any alarm manufactures sensors can be incorporated into another system.There are a few such as the Clifford units that use a data line to communicate to, and from the alarm CPU like their wireless immolbilizer, omni sensor, and siren which uses internal IC's to change the tone of the siren output.Other than that, there are a few odd ones out there that require specific alarm CPU's to work. Alpine is probably the most notorious in terms of that.Their dual sector radar, and their older paging devices had to use a data plug to work.What you see today is pretty much universal in terms of incorporating the sensors. The only thing to note is that all sensors must be diode isolated from one another to prevent feed-back and irractic behaviour.
========================================================
What you need to consider when adding ANY sensor is what the intent is:
1. Is it the perimeter you wish to protect, so as you are given ample notice and time of a potential threat?
2. Is it the vehicle? Such as when it is being towed or broken into?
3. Is it the contents of the vehicle? Such as in a rear truck bed, RV, or the wheels on your vehicle.
Knowing what and when you require such sensors and how they really work, will ensure you incorporate the right one, for the right job.For every installer I have ever met that swears this unit does this, so well... They are the last one to re-adjust the sensors annualy to compensate for climate changes.Nor, do they really understand the proper method of mounting, or testing the sensor for weak spots.If you simply fall in the catogory of install it in the steering column, and kick the tires, and its all good !Then you Sir, are those who need to leave the business, which is filled with imbecils...
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

thats all good to know.

But I was hoping for a list of other compnies out there that make them .. DEI is great  but I don't want to pay for the name if I don't have to!

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

Teken, another thing me and focusedonsound were curious about is if the reliability of the sensor is diminished with sensors that are cheaper than those recommended by the manufacturer of the alarm.  Are these things going to be made poorly and fail a lot sooner.  Or is it like buying caps for car audio.  The caps can't really be changed too much and most of the time you are paying for the name.

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Focusedonsound: Simply take a look in the alarm company link in this site. There over 50 companies that make various alarms.Once you have read through the list, locate a dealer and go down and play with any of the ones your interested in.NaughtyLMnky: Your analogy regarding the stiffening capacitor is very close.Since the last couple of years you will see alot of cross name re-badging.In some of the lower lined units. You see this alot in terms of sirens and trunk release modules.Almost all the companies save a few are actually designed and manufactured to the level the company desires.One of the best examples of this is the Clifford siren. It wasnt the first unit to use a internal CPU to change the sound, but it was the first to be used in mass market sale.The very same is now the case with the little sirens you see now being used, when the in thing was the 6 tone sirens.The list goes on and on...
========================================================
In terms of sensors there are countless varieties of each. But understand that they do not all work the same way, nor do they implement the same level of performance because it is the design that is lacking.One of the most famous flaws in a shock-motion sensor are those that employ the standard rubber band and magnet assmebly.They are prone to falsing because over time the rubber band loses tension, or when there are very strong EMI /RFI fields such as those found in automatic door openers or HVAC units from below, or from power generations stations.There are currently in use 4 styles of shock-motion sensors. The first one I have discribed above. The others are based on piezo crytal technology.Technically they are called transducers, which convert energy from one form to another.There are two classes or types of transducers, input and output transducers.Input being like shock sensors, and output being ultrasonic or infrasonic sensors.I will have to write down the rest later, my fingers are tired.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

You don't have to go into that great of detail.   Just finished my electro-mech degree which covered how sensors work extensively.  I suppose the cheapest ones are going to be this rubberband magnet thing.  I never cracked one open.  I bet that's what i have right now.  I was assuming that all shock sensors were crystals. 

What style do you rely on?

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
I use a dual stage piezo shock-impact sensor which is time, and temperature compensated.
Regards
EVIL Teken

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic