icon

Lighting Plexi Up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
i wanted to know the correct way of lighting plxi up when its used as a base for an amp to get the plexi to glow.
do you just put neon or the leds under the plexi or do you put it along the edge of the plexi ?
which is the better way?
and also what lights to do you think are better to highlight systems
LEDS or Neon Tubes??
thanks
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Tubes offer a more defused and *warm* glowing effect, when compared to LEDS.
But that also can be changed simply by placement. Normally the tubes are placed under the lip / ridge of the enclosure where the plexi-glass is placed.
It really is up to you, as to what *looks* better. Color is more of concern to me, then is placement.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
so when lighitng it up put the tubes on the edge of the plexi? i want the plexi to have a glow ti it
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
What I meant was that normally there is a ridge or a lip to which the plexi-glass is mounted on.
What most people do when they *do not* want the tubes to be visable, like when it is mounted flat on the bottom, when viewing from above.
They make the enclosures lip where the glass goes over have a longer over hang. Then, the tube is placed under neath and the reflection of the tub not only lights up the equipement directly, but indirect light makes the glow even more prevalent / ambient.
ie. Ever notice that all the light fixture in your house has a cover? If you took the cover off the light emitted would be very directional.
Place the cover back on, and the light is more defused. This is the same principle, and ensures EVEN light coverage in all areas.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Echoing Teken's, previous message, it is up to you, what you like, I would add, though, cold cathode flourescent tubes are going to be WAY cheaper than the L.E.D. route, I was trying to do the same thing in my civic, and I came up with some pretty outrageous prices for LED's. I will mention though, I was wanting to use blue high intensity LED's and they are STILL around 3 bux a piece! Stick with the flourescent, there are more (and less expensive) options available to you. Teken also mentioned the "warm, glowing effect", and this is true... LED's seem to have a really uneven lighting effect when compared to the flourescent stuff...
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Carguy it sounds like the previous posts assume you are going to put the amp under plexi but in your question you said it is the base for your amp.  So what I am wondering is if you are mounting the amp onto the plexi?  If you are I have some other ideas for you.
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  

also, the closer you get to the ultraviolet end of the spectrum (or so i've noticed) the more it also seems to scatter the light, make it harder to discern just where the point of origon of the light is, gives it more of the whole "glow" effect - plus - if you plan on putting plexi under the amp as the guy in the previous post suggested, if you paint the bottom side of the plexi white and use an ultraviolet lamp, the lamp only need be somewhere in the general vicinity - anything white will glow the blue color given off by the uv lamp.  uv florescents are easy to come by too. 

carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
yes i amp mounting the amp onplexi. no i might be using smoked plexi im not to sure yet. but the neon color im using is orange to match the color of the bmw's dash. does the smoke plexi or clear plexi matter also does the tickness matter i think i was getting either 1/8"or 1/4" thick
thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic