icon

2003 Alero RS install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mosquito 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a bulldog remote starter/keyless entry in a 2003 Olds Alero. Got it hooked up just fine, but it will crank, start, and then kill itself. It looks like it is exactly the same thing that was happening in this post:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=22180&KW

Now my question is how does the Passlock II system work? I didn't get the factory alarm option when I bought the car, so do I still need to bypass it? I bought the bulldog universal bypass module in case I need it, but the instructions don't seem to match up with the wires in the vehicle. It says I should see black, yellow, and white small gauge wires, but I only see a black and a green. Any ideas?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
mosquito wrote:
Now my question is how does the Passlock II system work?
The Passlock II is a timed and resistive based immobilizer. Whe you place the key in the ignition and turn the cylinder a R (resitive) code is sent to the BCM, which houses the decoder.
If the BCM recieve the correct R code, within the specified time, it will allow the vehicle to initiate the fuel mgmt system.
mosquito wrote:
I didn't get the factory alarm option when I bought the car, so do I still need to bypass it?
No, you do not need a bypass kit if this is the case. But varify that it is not standard equipment on your vehicle.
Below is the wiring diagram for your model year vehicle.
========================================================
Oldsmobile
Alero
Remote Starter Wiring Colors and Notes
Function
   Vehicle Color
   Yellow (+)
Ignition switch harness
Ignition #1:
   Pink (+)
Ignition switch harness
Ignition #2:
   Dk.Green (+)
Ignition switch harness
Ignition #3:
   N/A
Ignition switch harness
Accessory:
   Orange (+)
Ignition switch harness
Brake Light:
   Lt.Blue (+)
Brake pedal switch
Tach Signal:
   White or PURPLE / White (AC)
At the PCM**
Parking Lights:
   Brown (+)
Gray plug at the BCM***
Headlights:
   N/A
OEM Alarm Disarm:
   N/A
OEM Alarm Arm:
   N/A
Diesel Glow Plug:
   N/A
Clutch Bypass Wire:
   N/A
Notes:
   **On the 2.2L models use white wire in the black plug. On the 3.4L models use PURPLE / white in the blue plug. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is under the driver side dash left of the steering column. ***The Body Control Module (BCM) is between the blower motor and the passenger side kick panel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oldsmobile
Alero
Alarm and Keyless Entry Wiring Colors and Notes
Function
   Vehicle Color
   Red & RED / Black (+)
Ignition switch harness
Starter Kill:
   Yellow (+)
Ignition switch harness
Ignition +12 Volts:
   Pink (+)
Ignition switch harness
Dome Lights/Superv:
   White (-)
Pink plug at BCM***
OEM Horn:
   Black (-)
Gray plug at BCM***
Power Lock:
   White (-)
Gray plug at BCM***
Power Unlock:
   Same wire as power lock
Gray plug at BCM***
Trunk Release:
   Black (-)
Gray plug at BCM***
Alarm Input Wire:
   White (-)
Pink plug at BCM***
Notes:
***The Body Control Module (BCM) is between the blower motor and the passenger side kick panel.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

According to bulldog security's vehicle database all of the aleros from 99-03 have passlock II.  According to that you would just need to use the bypass module.  I would assume that the black wire is the same and that the green is now in place of the other white or yellow wire.  You only needed to use two wires for the bypass and I would guess that this is the case.

Anybody else want to argue this?  I haven't done a 2003 so I don't know from experience.

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, when you start the vehicle with the remote start unit does the security light in the dash light up?  This would prove that you have passlock II.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, it also is indicated on the wiring color code I placed up. That being the WHITE (-) wire at the BCM. Back to sleep with me...
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
The black, yellow, and white small gauge wires are in there own harness off of the ignition switch. They aren't in the main harness with the ignition wires so if you opened that harness that's why your not seeing them. They do join the ignition wire harness though so if you sliced it open far enough down the line you would see them. If not, feel around the ignition cylinder for another seperate harness coming off of it. By the way the thin green wire should be your key sense wire if you need it for anything. Good luck,
Mike
mosquito 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow wrote:
The black, yellow, and white small gauge wires are in there own harness off of the ignition switch. They aren't in the main harness with the ignition wires so if you opened that harness that's why your not seeing them.

A-HA! Found them! It never even occurred to me to look it that small bunch of wires. Thanks for the tip. After paging through the manual, I did find that it was standard to have passlock, so I was half way there, Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm going to go hook it all up now...

mosquito 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
So I've installed a bulldog R/S on my 2003 Alero. All I hooked up was the remote starter, the passlock II bypass, the door locks and trunk release. Somehow in the process I've lost my Retained Accessory Power. Also, my dome light will stay on all the time even though it is in "Door" mode when the engine is not running. I do not think this has to do with a door switch or trigger because the light turns off when the engine is running and the dorr is closed. Anyone have any idea what to look for here? The radio and everything turns off when the enigne is killed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic