icon

JL 12w7 or Adire Brahma 12?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
For you experienced audiophiles what are your opinions on these products. From what I read these are two of the best brands for SQ which is what I'm more interested in. I'll probably be buying one of these two in the near future. I also am concerned with saving space on my tundra accesscab. I'd like to keep the box under 1.5 cu.ft. which should work fine with either of these two. Any comments on the quality, efficiency, and best bang for the buck are welcome.
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w7.html
The JL at my local audio store runs about $419 and they'll probably drop a few dollars!
The adire runs $379 plus shipping.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  

I feel both are the best SQL subs on the market.  The W7 uses all custom parts, which gives it it's higher cost.  The SQ of both subs should be pretty much identical since both utilize different techniquest to obtain the lowest distortion possible; better than the standard topologies found in the competition.  Their output should be very similar as well.  The W7 does unload a little more gracefully at the extremes.  But this is a benifit I don't suggest you experience. JL 12w7 or Adire Brahma 12? -- posted image.

The W7 requires a larger enclosure, but will probably be a little more efficient.  I have heard that the Brahma is a little more robust in the lower frequencies than the W7.  I always thought the W7 was the better looking of the two, but with the changes made in the Brahma Mark II, I think that has changed.  The Brahma definitely has the best warranty with 3 years, while I think JL only offers like a year.  But then that is a great price for a W7.  That definitely leveled the playing field between the two. 

I still think the Brahma may be the best way to go for you since it costs a little less, and requires a smaller enclosure.  And BTW, if you buy it from an online dealer they usually offer free shipping.  Here's a couple friends of mine that are online dealers:

http://sound-foundations.us/catalog/default.php

http://www.visionaryaudio.com/

Of course if you have a local dealer near you, then definitely go there.  You can check this in Adire's dealer location page.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I love the w7's and would recomend them to anyone, espically at that price. yes airspace is a little issue but if your running one sub then 1.5 cuft isnt that big of a box. For power i would find a good quality amp that will run 1 ohm or .5 ohm and run the sub at .75   some 1 ohm stable amps will handle that for a short length of time but im sure you want to play whenever so look towards .5ohm stable MA makes some decent quality .5 ohm stable amps for a decent price
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for the opinions. I really appreciate them. It's going to be a tuffy deciding but I still have some time. I'll do some more research before I decide for sure.
losboricua 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
i recomend the brahma. my friend has a 15 mark I power by an autotek 1800ks or something like that and it pounds and is soo clean.  and it is in a ported box
2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate Black on Black
Tinted Windows, Fogs, Roof Spoiler, ARK Springs, Ruff R1 20's Staggered

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic