icon

switched/constant power, 85 Bronco

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PowrSlave 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Argh.  I am really getting annoyed here.  The car is a 1985 Bronco II.  I had the new head unit working fine the other day except that it wouldn't keep the clock or preset settings, so this led me to believe that I wasn't connecting the constant 12V to the battery.  I also considered that I might have had the red harness wire from the head unit connected to the constant 12V and that maybe this is why the head unit worked at all.  So I have two problems here.

1.) I have the red wire connected to the constant 12V, so the radio works, but it doesn't save memory or...

2.) I have the correct ignition wire, but the wrong constant battery wire connected.

Here is what I know according to this site:

constant 12V is supposed to be light green (the wire in the car is actually GREEN/ YELLOW.  dunno if this is the same as the12volt.com is referring to.

switched 12V is yellow/black

There is also a RED / blue wire that is bundled with these two, but I don't know what it does and the12volt.com doesn't mention it.

So I tried rewiring the harness to connect properly to these two wires and I get no power at all.  Any ideas why?  When I tried to wire it back to the way I had it before, I am no longer getting any power.  This sucks.  I checked the fuses on both wires and they are still intact.  Now, my problem is more serious than just keeping memory settings, since it doesn't work at all. 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Does anyone know what wires go where?  There are only three wires in question and I know I have the speakers connected properly, so this is very frustrating.

PowrSlave 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Please, any help would be huge to me.  I have the car today, so I want to at least get the head unit working again (with memory working or not).

Regards,

PowerSlave

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
i would go ahead and get the diagram for your ignition harness and run your wires there...typicaly you gan always get power there, aslo check for fuses under the hood some cars have a secondary radio fuse under the hood
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Laur 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Yes as Jeff said check all fuses ( maybe the headunit have one ).

Then you must check the wires (car harness ) if you have a good ground ( could be the mem problem ) and you can try to invert wires (12v constant with 12v switched ).

the diagram (if you have that ) for the car can be change by the manufacturer so the best way to find 12v constant or switched is to find it  yourself

PowrSlave 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

K, nevermind, I figured out what was wrong.  Some stupid fuse that was hardly related is the culprit. 

PowrSlave 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help guys.  I was suprised to see that I got any replies at all.  Definitely a worthwhile forum/site.  I will definitely come here in the future.

Regards,

PowrSlave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic