icon

my current project lcd screen enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94mx-5 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

This is just what I have so far, there are probably easier ways to do this, feel free to let me know, this is my first attempt at something like this so it was a learning experience for sure.

The best place I found for the screen was the glove box door, it had a big semi-flat space that was begging to be filled.

my current project lcd screen enclosure - Last Post -- posted image.

The first cut I did with the dremal wheel, I knew this would be covered later so I wasn't too concerned with the cleanleness...this was the first cut, I made this one smaller and then worked out to the final size with some other sanding tools.

The screen didn't come with any mounting hardware that I could use for this application so I just removed the front piece, the plan is to mount this then attach the rest of the screen in when the rest of the job is finished, the rest of the screen attaches with some screws from the side, these are accesable from the back.

I used some simple cheap filler to build up around the egdes quickly.

Then I topped all of that off with some body filler, then i sanded it all smoothe. There were some little potholes from airbubles in the filler so I went back a second time to fill them in.

Tommorrow I will sand it all down the rest of the way and then finsih is off with paint...then after that comes the doors

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
lookin good so far my current project lcd screen enclosure - Last Post -- posted image.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

I was planning on doing something similar with my dakota.  There is a shelf above the glovebox that I am going to fill with a fiberglass enclosure to house the monitor.  I was planning on using the monitor's front casing to make the mold fit the monitor perfectly.

Make sure you let us see what the finished product looks like.

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
what kind of cheap filler did you use?  It looks like it worked out ok for doing the rough shaping and I hate using a lot of the more expensive body filler on that.
94mx-5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

NaughtyLMnky wrote:
what kind of cheap filler did you use?  It looks like it worked out ok for doing the rough shaping and I hate using a lot of the more expensive body filler on that.

I actually used a spackle, like you would use on drywall, i just had to make sure that i didn't come out too far with it b/c i needed to make sure that i had room for the stronger filler to be thick to avoid any chance of cracking...

this is where i am now, the patchs were sanded down and the first couple coats of primer were layed...

94mx-5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

now i need to do some final shaping around the bottom left there and then clear out the excess filler to make room for the buttons and remote eye to come through then i can put on the final coat, i'll keep you all updated...

Beezie 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
You have any finishing pics of your project? I'd love to see how it came out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic