the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Eclipse, 2 Titanium 12s or 3 Aluminum 12s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
would i be better off getting 2 Eclipse Titanium 12s,  or  3 Eclipse Alumiums 12s?  i was wondering because my amp pushes 1600w,  and the titaniums are 750w so 2 would be 1500w, and the aluminums are 500w so 3 would be 1500w.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is the amp first, what vehicle is it going into? Solid choice on the subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
the amp is an audiobahn A2200HCT.  and its going into a 1976 Chevy Silverado single cab ( i am going to do a cut-cab box, aka blow through)
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed... solid choice! That 750W rating, BTW is VERY, EXTREMELY, WAY conservative on the Ti woofer. I will tell you right off, that the Ti subs are some of the most incredible drivers I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I am using one in my Civic with the Eclipse DA7232 amp running one ONE of them, and I have never even come close to the capabilities of that driver. According to the Eclipse guys (who I spoke with at GREAT length at the CES last year, and will again this year) that amp makes about 1400WPC into 4 ohms, so I am running almost 3KW to one of them. Bad news, though... The Ti woofers are PAINFULLY inefficient... translation: you NEED TONS o' power to push 'em to good levels... with 2800W to a single driver I can get about 108dB, and then no more... Not bad considering it is ONE driver... IN A SEALED BOX! Using all of the power transfer laws, with 1600W into two of them, you will get the same output, but likely less, (unless you are planning on using a vented enclosure, add 3dB, but you will lose extension, i.e. no DEEP bass, say below 50-55Hz) say around 102-105dB... not really loud at all by today's standards. I was using the Eclipse 1100watt amp to push a single 10, before I had to upgrade the amp to the DA7232 amp... it was scary! then I saw the 12... I HAD to have it! Basically, all I am really saying is this... if your amp will drive three of the 12" aluminums, or if you can find a compatible series/parallel wiring scheme to wire the woofers, without melting down your amp, use the aluminum woofers. BTW if you want pictures of my system for some ideas, ask... I will add, though that this PARTICULAR system is always in a state of flux... <grin>
dd
Eclipse 32440 driving Eclipse 89940 Point source 6X9's 120w X 4, bi-wired, bi-amped
Eclipse 34230 driving Morel MW-162 6" midbass in doors 550w X 2
Eclipse DA7122 driving Eclipse SW9122 12" Titanium sub 1000w X 2
165A alternator from www.4alterstart.com
RedTop Optima 12v under the hood
2 RedTop Optima 6v in trunk, one each side wired in series
2 Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad caps on custom hand built power bars
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
With the amp you have I would head in the direction of the 2 titanium 12's. The box will be an easy task to design and should provide amazing sq as well as spl in the mid130 - low 140db region (but let's hope for more). You can go either way and get really good results, but it is always a little more impressive when people see and hear 2 subs over 3 or more. If you are considering 3 aluminum subs, you will need to use the svc version for the best results, in other words, the impedance can reach to approx 1.33 ohms with a all parallel wiring method. The titaniums will load the amp a little better and maybe draw a little more current from it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

shameless plug, but I have to do it, sorry, they gotta go.....

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=23266&PN=1

-Cy

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would go ti's all the way, later one buy a second amp or a bad boy from clif or zapco to power them later on to their full capicaty
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
okay, so it looks like the 2 titaniums is the way i am gonna go.  now i know that you have to buy Eclipse from a authorized dealer to maintain the warranty, but do u have to have it installed by an Eclipse dealer too?
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
now i know that you have to buy Eclipse from a authorized dealer to maintain the warranty, but do u have to have it installed by an Eclipse dealer too?
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

I talked to a local Eclipse dealer, and i wanted to check to see if i am getting a good deal.  He quoted me around $470 per 12" titanium.  Is that a good deal, or should i continue to shop around?  Also does anyone know the answer the the question above ^^?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic