icon

Fiberglass and door pannels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rocfrog 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

I have heard from lots of people that fiberglass will not adhear to plastic is this true??

I want to move my door speakers out about 3" for a deeper speaker and fiberglass is the only thing I can think of but I have heard that it won't be that soild and over time it will fall off.

Nick

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Reading you post made me curious what others have tried so I did a little searching around the site for my own knowledge.

drvnbysound stated:

The absolutely best way to get a custom fiberglass added piece to stick to an ABS panel is to drill some small holes into the ABS behind where you are doing the glassing. And when you fiberglass, allow some of the resin to go through to the back side, and to add some matting back there, this basically makes fiberglass "rivits" and makes the fiberglass stay molded against the ABS. Good luck with your install.

This sounds like an awesome idea that should work pretty slick.  I think the next time I run into this problem I will try this out.

rocfrog 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

I had also heard that before but it just didn't make sence to me and still doesn't. I have yet to actually work with fiberglass yet so that might be where I'm not understanding. If I use some sort of cloth to make the mold then how does that fall thru the holes and connect on the other side?? Or do I have to use the chopped up mat for this application?? Or am I just seeing how to do this all completely wrong????

Nick

kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

Well, all you really need is for the liquid resin to flow through the holes, that will help to hold everything together, using the mat would be a little better than regular material, if you can.

Matt

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
it is difficult to get the 2 to attach. the drilling of the holes works well. one other thing i will suggest is to cover over the whole piece with your material or chop mat. if you dont, and the piece flexes it can pull the matieral away or the filler.
Trevor
rocfrog 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Ok Thaks for the great responses! I'll be attempting this soon and will keep you updated!

Nick

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic