icon

Eclipse sw8122.4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Is it needed to have a pair of these, or would one give enough bass to fill a suburban.  It will have 500 clean watts to it ini a 1.25 cubic foot box, sealed?
Chandler Martin
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

500 Watts to a single 12" sub is a pretty good amount.  It would all depend on your expectations, though.  I've been satisfied with less power than that, but I've never tried it in a Suburban.  What amp are you using?  If it's 2-ohm mono stable, you could always add a second identical sub later on if you weren't satisfied with the way it sounded with a single sub.  500 Watts RMS is already the limit for the sub you have, so you couldn't just keep the one sub and throw more power at it.

Scott Gardner

chan4202 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have a rf 1001bd it is 1000watts rms at 2 ohms or 500 watts at 4ohms.  I really dont like a huge amount of bass, just enough so that i know it is there.  Are there acoustical benifits to having 2 woofers vs. one.  Also if I used 2 woffers at 1000 rms watts, is this too much drain for my alternator, or would it be fine?
Chandler Martin
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
my friend has 4 12 inch power HX2's in a dodge Ram, and he is using the stock alternator, and he has an alpine MRV-1507 powering them, and has no strain on the alt or the battery's, although he does have 6 battereis, i would suggest a yellow top, but you should be fine, thats a big truck
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  

chan4202 wrote:
I have a rf 1001bd it is 1000watts rms at 2 ohms or 500 watts at 4ohms.  I really dont like a huge amount of bass, just enough so that i know it is there.  Are there acoustical benifits to having 2 woofers vs. one.  Also if I used 2 woffers at 1000 rms watts, is this too much drain for my alternator, or would it be fine?

500 Watts and a single 12" subs will probably be fine.

There are acoustical benefits to having a second sub when it comes to SPL.  If you add the second sub and double the power, you'll get approximately another +6 dB of SPL.  3 dB of the gain is from doubling the input power, and the other 3 dB is from adding the second sub.  To get the full benefit, you'll need to have the subs next to one another, and facing the same way.

The 1001bd is a fairly efficient amp.  I don't know how big your stock alternator is, but the max draw for the amp at full-tilt boogie (2 subs, 1000 watts) is a little over 100 amps.  If you're not going to be playing it that loud constantly, and you have an alternator in the 135-amp range, you're probably fine.

Scott Gardner

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic