icon

2003 Sunfire Factory Relocation Necessity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BTallack 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
I've been doing some research on installing an aftermarket CD Player in my 2003 Base Sunfire regarding the necessity of relocating the factory sound system, and have found on this site, someone had said it only effects the door chime, however when I went to one of the local chain stores that does installs, they told me it also affects airbags and the oil pressure gauge.
Now before I do the install without relocating the factory system (I really don't care about the door chime) I want to make sure it's not going to mess anything else up.
Was the guy at the chain store just fishing for more money from me, or do I have to relocate the deck?
Thanks,
Brennan Tallack
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
The radio in your car is an integral part of the data bus system in your vehicle. It must be retained to prevent a whole bunch of potential problems. There are a few kits out to help you. Metra has a relocation kit and a speaker kit if you also want to retain all your chimes. There is room to relocate your radio above the driver's wheel well in the trunk. Put it behind the carpet and strap it to the steel brace there.
sparky
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
We have done a few of these cars.  Use the harness relocation kit, it's not that expensive and saves some headaches.  The bigest problem we came across when not using the harness was that the odometer would not light up.   The hassel of plugging in the factory deck when you go back for sercvice is not worth the few dollars you save.
richs 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
There is a module made by SoundGate, the GMCHIME, which takes care of all the data bus issues and you will not have to relocate the radio. There is a lot of misinformation around on the Cavalier and Sunfire, most of which is bunk. The only real problem on the 2000-2002 was setting off the airbags when you unplugged the radio. GM has a bulletin that explains the exact procedure for disabling the air bags before you remove the radio. I don't think it applies to the 2003 though, GM may have gotten that straightened out, but I would check with a GM dealer.
Best Regards,
Rich
BTallack 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

I already installed the deck using the relocation harness.  (the old deck is in my trunk)  However any advice on how to hide the wires better would be appreciated.  it's kinda a mess right now. 

Thanks,

Brennan Tallack
Steelejh 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

that relocation sh*t is absolutely completely bull sh*t, i have replaced my factory deck in my 2003 sunfire with out the BS of keeping the old one and all i lost was the door chimes, think about it why the hell would any one run your airbag system and oil pressure through your stereo? its nothing but a ploy to get more money out of you, i have even cleared this with a GM service manage who tld me that the stereo has nothing to do with that other crap

brnichols03 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
actually...gm has started to run a lot of that "crap" through the wiring harness to the radio. as stated above many of these functions run on the same bus cables that the radio uses..in my ship however we noticed usually only the door chime is lost unless the radio is equipped with RDS which will be noted on the face.. base model sunfires can have a deck installed without relocation with no problem....but the higher end ones could lose airbags, antilock brakes, domelight, or dash lighting...
brnichols03 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

and as for the question "why the hell would anyone run your air bag system and oil pressure through your stereo?'....

we are talking about GM here...the same people who decided to go against industry standard and use a different antenna in 1988, put tiny radios in pontiac sunbirds in the mid 90's, and 3 piece radios requiring vent replacement in full size pickups

i wouldnt put anything past them now that would require the owner to consider a factory replacement instead of aftermarket radios

slugless7 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
I havent seen any of the decks i've installed in any of the 2k GM cars come back for any reason outside of crappy product. I make sure the customer knows about the loss of chime and verify that there is no onstar. outside of that there have been no adverse effects of not maintaining the factory radio in the trunk or hiding it in the dash.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic