3 15s in an enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

Whats up guys!?. Awesome site.

I have a 01 PT Cruiser and have 3 JL 15's W3's that I plan on putting in a fiberglass enclosure. Question is.. I don't see many 15's in a fiberglass enclosure, let alone 3 of them. Do I need extra support?. I assume the box bottom and sides will be made with 1/2 MDF for support as well as braces inside as well.

Any advice?

94mx-5 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
it just depends on what braces you use for your mdf rings, you may want to use a couple extra and maybe a layer or two extra of glass, i don't think there are many situations where you can have too much support. but you certianly don't want to be lacking support or you will probably end up with some cracks and breaks
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend that you use at least 3/4" MDF for the bottom and sides, but if you have already purchased 1/2" and can't return it, you can double layer the wood so the thickness is 1". I'm assuming that you aren't seperating the speakers into different chambers. As 94mx-5 suggested, just use numerous wood rods to hold the speaker rings. Secure them at the ring and the back of the box with some type of glue and a screw, and that should be sufficient as braces.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
if you use 1/2 inch you WILL want to double it up.
if you use 3/4 you will still want to brace it. as for the glassed part, you can use trunkliner, then 4 layers of 1.5 oz chop mat or similar. that will be enough. it is stronger the more curves it has.
the rings can be 3/4 inch.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

At least 3/4th inch, if you haven't bought the wood yet upgrade to 1" for a few dollars more, it's worth it.  If you can get your hands on some HDF, I've heard its even better... but I've never worked with it myself so I can't personally vouch for it.

--mindctrl

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
I JUST finished an enclosure for my Eclipse 15 and an alpine amp. With the enclosure i would do it all glass because i think it usually comes out more flush looking like that but for strength i would use 4 layers mat then 1 layer core mat then 4 more mat then maby one more core mat. That will be plenty of strength
dream it, build it, fiberglass it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic