icon

94 protege wiring help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kupkup2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
im trying to install the head unit for my moms protege and the wiring in the car is not matching up with any harnesses or the head unit. could anyone help? from the car im getting a blue/gold, blue/black, blue, blue/red, WHITE/ blue, white, black, BLACK/ blue, purple, orange, red, and i believe RED / white. the first color is the dominant. and this may be a dumb question but my mind is blank right now the reverse harness is the one with the female end right?
Laur 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
check on this site for some wiring (by car models)(vehicle information , diagrams......
kupkup2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

im looking at the diagram and looking at the car and the diagram shows three blue/red wiires and all i can find is one and three blue/whites all i can find is one and i cant even find a blue/green and theres two on the diagram. now im no expert on this stuff but i kinda know whats going because i installed a head unit on my 91 stang  and it didnt prove this difficult. so if anyone can speak from experience or tell me im missing something that would help. but at least i made a little progress with laurs help so far.

inky13 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
I'm having trouble with my friends '95 protege.  we have blown about 13 fuses now (most of the time it has been the 15amp "Tail light" fuse found under the hood).  We've tried every wire connection you can think of and still nothing seems to work.  Right now, it is rigged so that the stereo works, but if you turn on the head lights, the player stops.  Turn off the lights and the player continues.  Now, if you plug in the FM antenna to the player, the taillight fuse blows when the lights turn on.  How is that related?  Can anyone help?
inky13
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Do not run the ground wire of the car radio to any wire in the dash, I imagine this is what you have done, do not assume that a black wire is ground. Attach the ground wire to a metal part of the dash that is connected to chassis ground. You may also have the red ignition line plugged into your lighting circuit, a definite no-no. Your antenna wire is acting as a ground and is completing a circuit, in this case a short circuit. You need to get yourself a meter or have this installed for you before you blow much more than 13 fuses. A melted circuit in the vehicle might costs you 10 times what the cost of a professional install is. To me it sounds like you should quit while you are ahead, no offence intended.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I strongly agree with forbidden!!
inky13 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
OK Cool, I do have a wiring diagram now.  Yep, I do have a meter, and assumed that one of the wires from the car should be hooked up to the ground on the stereo, I'll fix that.  13 was exagerated, it's one of my fav. numbers so I picked it.  Anyway, I'll play with it some more.  Thanks for the help guys.
inky13
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
im kinda scared of this one,     i had someone come to me last week, he bought the radio, declined the install even though i expressed there is no warentee what so ever once its opened if it is not installed here. I will warrent my own installs or any from the shop for a year....i mean come on we charge $25 for a radio...plus harnesses, we will also hard wire if your really cheap and dont want the harnesses.    I always recommend that you go to a professional, then i whip out my card   haha....really most have taken MECP exams ect for a reason....so we dont fry others stuff
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah Jeff,

I like being certified too, but for a different reason.  Instead of showing the customers, I'd show my old boss just to mess with him.  I aced the First Class exam, and he failed.  He knows his stuff, just can't take tests.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic