icon

1987 fiero gt manual remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deadguido 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
Looking at installing a remote start in an '87 fiero gt with a manual transmission. I know how manual starter systems work, but I have a different idea. I want to connect a linkage to the shifter that operates pin switches to sense when the car is in neutral. There is a ton of room under the console in front of the shifter, about 8 square inches of flat metal surface with lots of clearance that is totally enclosed. The bottom bracket of the shifter has lots of back-forth movement and very little side-side movement, and a big shaft to connect a linkage exactly like the stock shift linkage except going the other way. It looks pretty easy to use a 1/2 inch steel rod, through a bracket, then with a 90 degree bend, and a large plate welded onto the end to press against the pin switches. I'd wire it to chirp the alarm every few seconds if the ignition is off and its not in neutral. Also use the e-brake as a failsafe. Is this a stupid idea?
brunetmj 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
Not a bad idea.I mean new things get made by creative people. However it may be re inventing the wheel.Here is one model and I am sure there are others.
http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/security_bypasses.asp
deadguido 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, as cool as this idea is, I think we're going to abandon it. The car will be sold after this is done and I dont want it to fail and kill someone. The pin switches would be depressed every time the car shifts gears (hundreds of times per day perhaps), which might wear out the switches and cause them to malfunction. I would do it if the e-brake could be used as a failsafe but these cars have very bad e-brakes that are very hard to keep in working condition.

So.... we're going to wire it to work like a normal manual remote start (kind of). It'll have push button start and a seperate switch for accessories. If accessories are switched off and car is left running, then door is opened and closed it will arm the alarm and connect the starter to the remote start. If the car is shut off before the door latches, or the door is opened twice, then remote start is disconnected from the starter. This way the only way it can be started in gear is if someone sets it, then reaches through the window and puts it in gear. So now, my questions:

1) This is the way many systems on the market work, right? Do they have any failsafes, like the ebrake, or do they assume someone wont exit through the window while leaving it in gear?

2) I'd ilke to "set a flag" that says its ok to start remotely by holding a charge in a capacitor. Any problems with that? How long will it hold a charge?

3) I want to arm the alarm automatically when the door is shut. We dont have the alarm yet. What alarms out there allow you to do this? I want to be able to send a pulse to the alarm that makes it arm.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic