icon

Little 4 Ch Amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Didgeridoo22 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of Kenwoods in my front doors (35 Watts RMS), and 2 Blaupunkt 6 1/2 speakers (50 Watts RMS) in the rear deck of my '97 Civic EX Coupe. All I want is a good amp with clean power, and I don't care what brand it is. I've seen Soundstorm amps on Ebay for cheap, but most forums haven't been that friendly to that particular brand. Any INFORMED advice on what to use here? I'd be willing to spend up to $200.00, but I'd like to spend as little as possible.
Eclipse 5423 Head Unit
Kenwood KFC-1668s Front Speakers
Blaupunkt PCxt652 Rear Speakers
Rockford Fosgate 10" Punch HX2 with custom box
Rockford Fosgate 501S Punch Amplifier
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
As a dealer of Soundstorm I can tell you that I was very impressed by their amps and totally disgusted by their subs. Now I see you have an Eclipse head unit, there is no way on earth that you should consider a cheap amp to power your speakers, all that will do is make a good cd player sound bad. Consider a good amp like the Eclipse EA3422, it has nore than enough power for you. I loaned one of these amps to a customer while his Lighning Audio B1.400.4 was out for service, he noticed that the Eclipse sounded better and had greater headroom, thus he's in for an amp upgrade. The informed advice is to buy a good amp, preferably US built or designed, 50w x 4 rms is a great amount of power, so again I'll recommend the Eclipse.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
also...if you don't care about losing fade controls, you can get bridge an amp down to 2ohm and get (in theory) twice the power. You can save quite a bit of money this way. just a thought
Dyer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with forbidden, why on earth would you want to ruin the clean signal from your Eclipse head unit with a cheap (i.e. noisy) amp?  I, however,  can not recomend Soundstorm equipment to anyone for any reason, unless you are making boat anchors.  If you want a good quality, clean 4-channel amp for under $200 to drive your mains, look at US Acoustics.

tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
You get what you pay for. Your clean sounding system is only as good as the weakest link.
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Did you say soundstorm....boat anchor is right! DO NOT scimp on youre hi's. If you look around you should be able to find somthing decent used for the right price.I picked up a soundstream amp used not a scratch on it! In the box w/ manual
Didgeridoo22 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
     Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've decided to stick with RF, and I got a 301X for my speakers. Now I've just got to wait for my 501S to get repaiRED / replaced and I'm good to go! :) BTW... is the turn-on from my head unit strong enough to power 2 amplifiers and a capacitor? Just making sure before I go out and buy a relay.
Everything on above list w/2 additions:
Rockford Fosgate 301X Punch Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate Digital Capacitor, 1.0 Farad (CPCD10)
sufferrar 
Copper - Posts: 190
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
You need a relay man...
"I'm So Loud It Hertz"
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

Im hooking up the same equipment as Didgerido but is one relay (30amp)  enough to power 2 amps (200 and 300 watts respectively) or will I need to wire a relay for each.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

DON'T try to use a relay to power amps.  Amplifier main power shuld be run directly from the car's charging system.  A relay is useful for powering the remote turn-on circuits when running multiple amps.  In general, if you are sending remote power to one or two amps, the circuit in most head units is sufficient.  If you are switching three or more, a relay is called for.  You only need a 5 or 10 amp relay, not 30.  Most switching circuits draw only a few miliamps.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic