icon

Mold fabric?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  

What exactly is mold fabric? I have used fleece and I like to use my wifes old stockings as mold formers (Thats what  the Apline guys use ) But I hear a lot about this mold fabric anyone got a like or explantion

Thanks

don't fowl the track
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
the term "mold fabric" just refers to the first layer of material that is applied to the project. fleece, grill cloth, trunk liner. all these are concidered mold fabric. really you can use anything that is a polyester based fabric, because it bonds well with the polyester resin.
Trevor
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Just keep using fleece.  Select product sells something they swear is better and im sure it is.  Wally mart fleece is good enough and cheap.
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
there are a lot of different places to get fleece if thats what you choose to use. i dont know if in your area you have a JoAnn Fabric, or other fabric store like that. they sell fleece and micro fleece.
the down side to fleece tho is it is usually a 1 way stretch. it has a lot of stretch in 1 direction, and very little in all the others. where as with other amterials like trunk liner and grill cloth, they will stretch in all directions.
there are applications where fleece does work well, but there are applications where it doesnt.
there are a ton of polyester based fabrics out there......dont be afraid to try new materials.
you may find something that works very well and you prefer over any thing else. it is mostly personal preference, and what you are most comfortable using.
Trevor
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

Out of all that I have used so far i like grille cloth but it is more costly.  I was wondering if anyone uses any other fabrics other than the usual trunk liner, fleece, and grille cloth?  I would like something that stretches in all directions but is a little cheaper.  Any ideas?

audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
you can make a run to the fabric store. take a look around. not much is gonna be much cheaper than grill cloth tho.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know a place to get grille cloth for cheap?  The only place that I know of around here (Oshkosh, WI) is Radio Shack and it ain't cheap.
jakita 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Grill cloth sucks because it is to thin for build up
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
you must be using the wrong kind.  The stuff that I used what rock hard after one dowsing of resin.  It wasn't quite as tough as using fleece but it was solid.  It was a lot smoother than working with fleece though.  Very little sanding required.  Less sanding = Good.
jakita 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
I dont mean that it was not hard what I do mean is it is very thin and would not be suitable for an enclosure unless you do alot of layers.  An easy way to make fleece easy to work with is to rough sand it with 40/50 grit then spray high build primer on it "Feather fill" then finish sand it.  Your done.  It actually is easier than using grill cloth.  If you want to see it in action I have some videos from Select Products that you could borrow to see the technique.  It is up to you.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic