icon

Popping and whinning sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hondadriver 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have a civic with a panasonic Cd player and a Cerwin vega amp powering my speakers, now for a while every time turn the ignition on with the head unit in I hear a popping sound, and when I drive I hear a little whinning sound. I was told it could be my gound but I checked all my grounds. And my friend called me the other day and he has a Alpine cd player (no amp) in his neon and now all of the sudden he gets a popping sound and a louder whinning sound when he drives. I can't figure out what is causing this. Has anyone had this problem before and now what can be done to fix it?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Do a search for ground loops.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
does it pop when the ignition is on and you turn off your deck, then turn it back on again while leaving the ignition on??   Who did the install?? your friend??
hondadriver 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
No i did. I do a ton of them, (stereos and sound systems) I do all my friends and their friends. This kid with the alpine problem put the alpine cd player in himself because someone stole his other one, so I don't now what he did. I use all good wires and hardware i don't go cheap with my equipment. I just relocated my amp from my trunk to under my passenger side seat. I haven't turned it on yet, because i'm doing engine work and i removed the battery and engine harness, so I can't turn it on. If I leave my face plate on and put the key in before the stereo comes on i'll hear a pop, thats the only time it makes a pop. And my friend with the alpine just started to get this whinning sound, it was fine for like 5 months, and now its makeing the noise. Stereos and sound systems are simple to me but i just can't figure out whats wrong! I just wanna now whats wrong and how the fix it!!!!
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

how did you turn your cabling? is your rca's ran next to your power wire? cause that can cause issues.

richs 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Is the popping sound when you turn the radio on and off or start the vehicle with the radio on? Does it pop while you are driving? The whine is alternator related probably. Make sure the battery terminals are clean, make sure the grounds from the engine to the frame are in good shape and making good contact (bare metal to bare metal). Try baring the ends of a length of #10 wire and touching one end TO THE OUTER CASE OF THE ALTERNATOR and the other end to a good chassis ground point. If the whine goes away, then it indicates you have a problem with a diode in the alternator. How is the amp turned on?
Best Regards,
Rich
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
if you are talking about a 97-99 civic i might have your problem solved   i had the same problem.    chack your battery measure your current there...pull the caps off your battery and re fill the battery.    if still whining replace spark plugs and wires that what i did to solve both of your probs....i would also re ground the radio to the chassis
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
killerc 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
bad radio? i have experienced this same problem and found when all else fails try a different source ex- a portable cd player because the rca connections in the head unit themselves could be grounding out causing whine and or popping, wont be the first time it has happened i have seen new radios faulty straight out of the box.
it's a westbank thang

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic