icon

Power Requirements/Alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

I own a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. I'm about to add a second amplifier to my current one (Currently i have a 75watt RMS x 4channel Audiobahn A4601Q and I'm adding a massive 1800watt at 1ohm mono Audiobahn class D amp). Even though an Audiobahn representative claims I'll be okay with just a 1000CCA battery and 2 farads of capacitors, I think I'll need an alternator. I'm currently on a tight budget, so a Stinger alternator probably wont be affordable (not to mention about 1/5 the value of my truck). I need reccomendations for other, slightly more affordable HO alternators ($500 range). I've heard of Ohio Generator, but cant find a website. I was wondering about something like a Ford F-350 alternator (with the plow package) or something of that nature. Will they bolt right in? If not, what direct bolt in brand do you reccomend? Is the Audiobahn Rep. correct in assuming I won't need a new alternator, only a battery with more cold cranking amps, higher capatance, and a few farads of capacitor???? I dont want to be stranded at the shopping mall if he's wrong!!! If I do need an alternator, will I be okay with a a few capacitors for a few months until I save for the alternator?????

Also, while on the subject, the amplifier is 1 ohm stable, and runs 1800 watts RMS at 1 ohm. I'm not completely positive, but it's rated at about 600watts RMS at 4 ohms. I'll be running it at 1 ohm, with 2-dual magnet woofers. Does the amp draw more power at 1 ohm than it would at 4 ohms? Or does the power draw remain the same?

please help, i want to be happy with my system, not nervous and paranoid!!!! ugh, i just had to go for the biggest and the best! next time around i"ll stick with the cheap, low power stuff (visonik and dual here i come!!!) haha!

~wayland
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
It will draw more at 1 ohm.  You probably could get by for know like the rep said.  I would try a local auto electric shop to see if they have a higher output alt for your truck that will bolt right in.  I bet they would.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  

Low-ESR batteries and capacitors can help with short *peaks* in demand, but if your alternator can't even keep up with the *average* current requirements, then no amount of capacitance or batteries is going to help you - you need a bigger alternator.  I can't tell you what will bolt right into your truck, but I can tell you that you need to be looking for at least a 200-amp replacement.

In the meantime, you'll be okay as long as you don't try to use all 1800 watts from your amp.  Be reasonable with how long and loud you play it, and your stock alternator might last a while.

Scott Gardner

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Why run any amp into 1 ohm? Yes you can get the maximum wattage but... Dampning is out the window, heat becomes a concern, current draw is a major factor and sound quality suffers. If you are worried about current draw, don't run your amp for everything it's got! No matter what the brand, Physics still apply!
There are many high quality amps and speakers available at reasonable prices with better sound quality and build quality than Autobahn. Example an Orion 2100 HCCA which sold for $425.00 on ebay kicks butt on subs. Adire makes subs that kick without the high $$$     Shop around!!
wranglernw.com is an excellant source for alternators and anything for 12VDC Systems. Good Luck!
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I can't get into wranglernw.com right now, so I'll try back later....thanks for that.  
As for the Orion, I heard both good and bad about their products, but I've heard only good from Audiobahn  (are you talking about the same thing?  "Autobahn" vs. Audiobahn............ )  Plus I already have an Audiobahn Amp.  It hasn't failed me yet, and is quite a performer.....some infinity Kappa 5x7's play loud and clear, being hooked up to my A4601Q.  As for overheating, I have that basically covered.  Besides the large heat sink, and dual integrated cooling fans on the amp itself, my rather large amp rack has plenty of air circulation, with a custom built---temperature actuated cooling system.  Several 12 volt fans turn on when the temperature rises,  some pushing air into the box, others pulling air out.   Did I mention I had an SUV?  It's not locked up in the back of a Cavalier trunk, that will rise to obscene temperatures in teh summer.......  
As for Adire.....i've never heard of them.  I checked out their website and didn't like what I saw..........   Seems like a company trying to get itself started out,  and probably is very small.  Although I do realize it is those companies that usually perform,  I felt like going with a company not too too big, but that has themselves well settled.  Audibahn has been around for several years, and is just starting to expand into retail.  Their customer service is the best I've experienced so far, and they seem quite dedicated.   Not to mention they have gained a reputation as having "products built like tanks" as an installer put it in the area (was and installer featured in various magazines, including Car Audio),  That's why I picked 2 Audiobahn subs.
FInally, as for pricing.............I got a great deal on my products,  finding an awesome deal at sounddomain.com for; the subs, and another awesome deal on the amp, buy purchasing an older model,  that only lacked a few components, but has the same power ratings.  
~wayland
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Try Mean Green alternators. A local rep told me about them, so I looked them up on the net. Sound okay to me. Anyone else care to look and tell me what you think?
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
I also heard about mean green...............but forgot all about them!  Thanks!
~wayland
teamexpress5o4 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

good luck

team express is on the way to the top!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic