Slotted port box vs sealed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gizak 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I'm having trouble deciding on the above.  I've been doing  much research on enclosures, and had come to the conclusion on a sealed box for two 12 fosgates in my trunk.  But after hearing a friend who just upgraded his system with a slot ported box, I was a bit impressed.  Now I really didn't have anything to compare to so I am biased for the moment.  Looking for advice/opinions on slot port boxes.  Are there any benefits to them.  How do they compare to standard ported subs that use the tubes?  What are the pro/con's to this and sealed.  Thanks in advance.

GgGgGgGiZak!!
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

Well slotted ports offer an advantage in that they are stronger, since you build them into your box, and they also can help with the output of your subs(or so I've heard)  I'm in the process of building mine right now.  Sealed boxes usually will not hit as hard because they have air behind the woofer that acts as a spring and pushes the cone back to it's original place, whereas with ported the cone can move more freely.  However, sealed boxes usually will have a good solid punch to them, moreso then ported boxes.

However, this information is all subjective.  It depends on the listener, his taste, THE AMP, AND THE SUBS.  You can drive anything to hit pretty hard if you have the right sub/amp combination.  Remember, the amp is just as good as your subwoofers.  You wouldn't cheap out on a car just because you like the paint job, would you? =P

But my general rule of thumb suggestion that I give to all my customers that ask me to dumb it down for them is this... Ported boxes = rap and hip hop because it gives you a more boomy sound.  Sealed = rock, anything with a bass line that is pretty punchy and lively.

by the way, you just opened up the age-old debate of box enclosure wars between everybody on this board =).  Just remember one thing: There is no "superior" box enclosure.  All of them are good, but it just depends on what you plan on using it for.  Make sure you seriously think about it before you make your decision.  Thats all I'm gonna say.   Anybody like to add to what I said or make some corrections, feel free.

--mindctrl

Gizak 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply mindctrl.  Yea, sorry about opening up the argument hehe...i have used the search function but didn't have anything come up about slotted port subs.  I recall that argument on taste:  ported = hiphop/rap, sealed = punk/rock and that sealed offers better sq generally.  As for myself, I listen to both types, although I do prefer hip hop...so ported was originally my choice, until i read about sealed and the better sq.  I havn't really seen a slot ported box before and was curious to know if the design offered any benefits over a regular ported box.  If anybody has any first ear-perience, I'd love to hear your opinion.
GgGgGgGiZak!!
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

I'll let you know as soon as I build my box.

--mindctrl

dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
"Sealed boxes have a higher F3 than ported with the same woofer, but the low-end response rolls off at a shallower rate. Sealed boxes exhibit superior transient response and group delay characteristics than ported boxes."
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic