icon

adding amp and sub to bose system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ross47 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
i want to add a amp and two 12 inch subs to my bose sound system. how do i connect the rca cables and amp turn on wire to the factory deck?
94mx-5 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
If you do not have an RCA output in the back of your factory head unit then you need to hook up a line level adapter this will take speaker level output and convert it to an acceptable level for your amps RCA inputs. To turn the amp on you need to use the "remote" wire. This is the same wire that would make your power antenna go up when you radio turns on. To verify that you have found the right wire use a voltmeter to make sure that the wire you are using puts out 12 VDC only when the radio is on, otherwise you will probably end up with a dead battery.
JR_Performance 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
you could also do high level input from the amp
dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
94mx-5 explained things pretty well. I would use a line-out converter over the high level inputs. If you ever add a aftermarket headunit, you will already have your rca cables run.
After adding one thing one day, another the next, and another the next, I have found it easier on myself to start planning ahead for potential add on's. That is much more convienient than tearing your car apart, then putting it back together and just repeating the process over and over and over and over........................
Dyer
ross47 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
thanks to all that helped me on this one-i have used the adapters a long time ago on tape decks.  the thing i am still not sure about is the remote turn on wire to the amp.  the antenna only comes up when the stereo is set to radio, not on cd.  how can i turn on the amp without a manual toggle switch to it?  thanks again..
94mx-5 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
i believe you could use the ignition wire that goes to your headunit that turns it on when the car is on...you may want to double check on the amprage though..
evolutionoftym 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
yeah depending on the car you can use you're ignition wire coming off the radio.....that'll keep the amp on after you switch from AM/FM to CD or DSR....if you can't get the amperage off the radio circuit you can also tap into the ignition harness, although using a fusable link would be highly recommended
ross47 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

it's all done now!  2 kicker comp subs @1000 watts all connected. had to splice in to the speaker inputs at the back of the bose deck to convert the rca connection. ignition power to the deck works for the remote amp turn on wire.  thanks to everyone who gave me the ideas for the install.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic