icon

adire's brahama vs. 2 kappa perfect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

My friend bought two infinity kappa perfect 12.1d and put them in a bandpass box, i had two alpine R10 in a sealed, then ported box. I want to know if a Brahama 12 (in sealed or snail) would be able to out preform the two kappa's my friend has. we are in constant battle to keep the "best" systems in the town. If other suggestions could be made ill have about $500 to play with, and i currently have a rockford power 1000a2. (may have to be upgraded) any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA

Quad L Handyman services
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
The Brahma will definitely win in SQ.  Actually performance wise the Perfects are closer to a Shiva, the Brahma's little brother.  The Brahma will definitely have more excursion, possibly double.  This may help it be able to out displace two of the Infinity drivers, but I'm not sure.  I couldn't find an excursion spec anywhere for them.  So output may be very close.
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I believe the kappa's Xmax is like some 0.56" or something, probablly both ways though.
Quad L Handyman services
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
kappa perfect 12.1d
Xmax (millimeters)     14.15
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well then the Brahma has exactly double the linear excursion.  That should make up for the cone area of the second Infinity woofer.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
The Brahma will definitely win in SQ.

Don't you possibly mean SPL?  I've heard the Infinity Kappa's, and they are possibly the best sounding subwoofer I've ever heard before... SQ wise, anyways.  They also do pretty well in SPL, but it's nothing compared to some good ol' Eclipses or Kickers.

--mindctrl

Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of sound quality should i expect from the brahama's? i dont want to buy something that has far more spl than the sq can decently handle.
Quad L Handyman services
Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
mindctrl wrote:

Steven Kephart wrote:
The Brahma will definitely win in SQ.

Don't you possibly mean SPL?  I've heard the Infinity Kappa's, and they are possibly the best sounding subwoofer I've ever heard before... SQ wise, anyways.  They also do pretty well in SPL, but it's nothing compared to some good ol' Eclipses or Kickers.

--mindctrl

Nope, I mean SQ.  They were designed to offer the best SQ possible, and are well known for doing it.  Their unique motor topology offers less distortion than any other subwoofer on the market, with the W7 as the exception.  I should mention that some people enjoy distortion in their subs and my not like the sound of the Brahma. 

Adire's Shiva is known to provide as good SQ (and SPL) as the Infinity sub, but do it for a lot less money.  It is more in the same league as the Perfect.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ketel22 wrote:
what kind of sound quality should i expect from the brahama's? i dont want to buy something that has far more spl than the sq can decently handle.

I don't think you will have that problem.  Here's a quote from Adire's site: "Klifton is now the reigning MECA Indiana state SQ champion!  Using his Adire gear (Brahma 12 and a pair of Koda 6 midwoofers) in a full size truck, Klifton cleaned up in the SQ lanes while setting a new MECA RTA record!"  And BTW, he got first place this year as well.

Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

steven i take it your saying that the adire should out preform the infinity in both SQ, and SPL?

Quad L Handyman services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic