icon

install 5.25 mb quarts 2003 dodge ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
newguy03 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys i'm getting ready to install some 5.25 mb quarts i bought, they came with components and stuff, i'm not sure how i should hook this stuff up.... i already have mb quart 6x9s in my doors the 5.25s go behind the seats..... where should i install the tweeters for best sound performance??? And where should i put the components? I drive a 2003 dodge ram reg cab...thanks

vdubradio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
the best place for tweets is into the top of the dash and create a wave guide ( just angle the tweet toward the A pillar) you will find doing that will give your music a broader span, giving it more of the impression that it is extended outside of the vehichle
danxav13 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
If the 5.25's are the components and you want to keep the tweets in the same area, and not wanting to cut holes you can use some plumb strap that comes with most aftermarket radios to make a bridge over the woofer and mount the tweeter to it.  That is my all-time record for a run-on sentence.  I used that method for my cherokee were they are located overhead.  Just make sure you have enough clearance for cone movement.
gtchida 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

I just finished fabricating a fiberglass enclosure that fits under the dash of my Ram 1500 on top of  the transmission hump for a 5.25 mid and tweeter setup. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Gary

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Someone did not read the post correctly, he already has Quart 6x9" speakers in the front door. Do not put the tweeters up front on the dash if they are wired into the crossover with the mid (thus 1 pair of speakers) and then in turn wired into the rear speaker wires. This is not a good idea. I'm also not a big fan of mounting component speakers on the transmission hump as it has adverse effects on soundstage. Your speakers are designed to come from the sides, not the center, no offence Gary.

Newguy, components are a combination of speakers, a pair of5" midbass drivers + a pair of tweeters + a pair of crossovers. They all come in one box. I imagine that this is what you have. Both mid and tweeter wire to the croosover. Post up the model # of the components that you have. The tweeters if installed with the mid in the back, can be mounted above the woofer with the supplied surface mounts or cut into the panel with the supplied flush mount. Do not mount then too high as the will blast your left ear really bad, instead try to keep them down lower if possible. A Quart titanium tweeter has really good off axis response, I would mount them loose with double sided tape to listen to them in different positions. If the tweeters are too bright, look at the crossover to see if it has a tweeter attenuation circuit, this when adjusted will make the tweeters a little quieter.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
newguy03 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help guys yall are badass

i have MB Quarts RSC 213 5.25 components and DKC 169 6x9s in the doors

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
They are the type of components that I imagined you would have, mount the mid in the factory location and then experiment with the placement of the tweeter. Enjoy!
gtchida 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  

Rob,

I thought about placement and decided to go 6.5 mid bass in the doors. Any thoughts?? No offense taken, I appreciate your expertise. Can I e-mail you a pic for you to take a look at?

Gary

forbidden 
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping you would do something like this. The most important speakers in your vehicle are the fronts. Drop in that set of 6.5" components into the front doors and use an amp to power them, doesn't have to be monsterous, but a minimum of 50w rms should suffice. You'll need to make a mounting plate out of mdf to mount the 6.5" mid. Make sure the plate covers the entire 6x9" hole if you can and resin the mdf, the plates have a habit of getting wet in the door. While you are in the doors doing all this apply a good amount of brown bread or dynamat to the exterior door skin to keep it from resonating, any left over then start on the inner door skin. For the tweeter, again test it in different mounting arear by taping it into place, I prefer my tweeter up high and forward a bit, you may prefer it hidden away behind the factory door speaker grill. E-mail me a pic if you like, I think you are on the right track.
gtchida 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply Rob, that was my plan foir the doors. On the Ram, there are factory locations for tweeters in the pillars so I will utilize those.

I have another question about a sub. I have a standard cab Ram 1500 where I'll be running a single 12" Shiva driver. Would it be better to locate it in the corner of the cab firing at an angle, or in the center firing forward?

Thanks,

Gary

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic