icon

wiring off road lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justin_92_92 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
I need some help guys. I want to wire up my light bar on my jeep wrangler. What I have is 5- 55watt lights on the bar I was wondering what size fuze to put them on and what size wire to run them for power and what size ground wire. Is it ok to use a 10gauge wire and run all 5 lights off this wire for the power and hook it to a switch then to my battery? What I would like to do is hook the end one up and then go down the wire a bit and strip it back a little and put the next wire on and so on and so on ....is this possible? any ideas welcome. thanx, nooby here lol
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

You will need a switch, a 40 amp relay (bosch), a 40 amp fuse + fuse holder, 14 gaue (as small as 16 gauge wire) and time. Find a good solid ground for each bulb. Ground one side of the switch, the other side of the switch goes to pin 86 on relay. Hook one side of fuse to battery, the other side to pin 30 and 85 on the relay (you can use your 10 gauge wire here). Pin 87 is your output wire to power the lights, hook all the + bulb wires to this lead, run separate lines from the bulbs to this relay, or run a good heavy line from the relay and tap into the line as it goes past each light.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Your lights are 275 watts, which will draw about 23 amps at 12V.  10 AWG wire is overkill, but would certainly do the job.  I recomend you power them through a 30a relay and operate the relay with a remote switch.
justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
so what your saying is I can run a 12 or 14 gauge wire to power these lights? I would like to hook all the power wires on these lights to one wire. Is 12 gauge goin to be enough? also I hope to do the same with the ground wire is to hook them all together on one power wire. I was really just wondering the size of the fuse and the size of the wire needed to run it. thanx for the info guys
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Yes 14gauge is sufficient , 25amp fuse... 30 to play it safe (the bulbs draw more power when they first light and when its cold) 30amp relay.

Take some 14gauge wire... a relay... a toggle switch and some time.

Pin 85 = wire running to switch

Pin 86 = +12V Battery

Pin 87 = +12V Battery(same + wire as 86)

Pin 30 = wire running to the lights.

Take your switch, and on one side, ground it out.... on the other side... hook it to 85 of relay.

Now, when you flip the switch, the relay clicks over, pin 30 is energized, and your lights will take off. Simply run the single 14g power wire up one side of the light bar and all the way across the bar ending with the last light. For each light, bare the power wire back and connect your light power wire to it, and ground each light out on its own.

Hooking em up how you would like ... +12v to 1st light, ground to 2nd light's +, Ground to 3rd lights +, Ground to 4th....... if one bulb burns out, the entire circut is dead... leading you to believe your problem lies elsewhere... be sure to use some GOOD electrical tape and some "Liquid" electrical tape to seal your connections outside the truck

Good luck

justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
thanx man you guys helped out alot. I am goin to try today and see what happens. I have never done a relay befor so it should be fun. now I have two more 6inch round offroad lights that i have power comming from the battery and it goes rite to a switch and from the switch to the lights should i chang this and if so should i hook them up to the same relay and a different switch or can i use the switch and the relay again?
justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

uh oh....my diagram that came with the relay says different. It says hook

pin-85 --->to ground

pin-30--->to fused power

pin-86---->to switch

pin-87(wich it has two of these pins)---> power to lamps.

I wonder what the difference is? And also do I need to hook anything up to the switch besides one power from relay and one ground? And if not which spot on the switch do i put it on? the power in or power out?

mikeshonda750 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

Autozone relays is your difference. With relays, as long as there is current from side to side (85 86) there will be current up and down (87 30) so if you stick a ground on 85.... 86 MUST be a + ... and you can wire that backwards... same with up and down... if you have 12v comming in through 30..... your accessory must be on 87.... the difference between the relay you have and the relays we use, is the center pin is configured differently. On your relay, 87(top) and 87a(middle) are one and the same... actully connected within the relay, so when the relay is active and 30 has juice..... 87 and 87a will have juice.... on our relays..... when the relay is DEAD, pin 30 and 87a are connected, when the relay is LIVE 30 and 87 are connected.

The relay you have will work for what your wanting to do.... just a note to you and everyone else, dont use AZ relays, espicially for reverse polarity..... spent too much time invesdigating this matter "well... is it positive pulse??? negative?? no.. i just tested it.. its reverse polarity... must have wired one relay wrong...." *Blown fuse* "Nope... guess not" sucked

justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
do I need to hook anything up to the switch besides one power from relay and one ground? And if not which spot on the switch do i put it on? the power in or power out? I just dont see how the switch turnes this relay on......usually the switch has 3 plugs on the back and i have one ground which i can ground no problem then i have the power from the batter plug and the power to the accessory plug. What plug do i run to the relay?     and one more thing. Can i have 87 power up my 5 lightbar lights and have 87a  power up my other two off road light i have on my bumper? Becouse i would like them to be on the same switch so i use them all at once but not sure if its goin to draw to much for one relay. Thanx so much for the help so far...i froze my ass off yesterday here in ny trying to get these wired. lol 
mikeshonda750 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Ok... did you buy your relays from AZ?(autozone) Bah... Ok.... You'll need 2 relays to achive what you want. The toggle switch, is it a lighted switch? meaning... its colored plastic and when the switch is on.. it lights up, and powers your accessory? probably. Ok...  with that switch setup: GND/PWR/ACC, Hook up your ground wire. Hook up your power wire wherever you choose. Your "acc" wire, or... switch output wire will supply +12v to pin 85 of both relays. Pin 86 will be grounded on both relays. Pin 30 on both relays need to be +12V fused, from the battery. Pin 87 will be your  "Fog light power wire" which you will run out of the vehicle to the lights your wiring. Use 1 relay to power your light bar, use the other to power the other lights. So.... comming off of the switch... you have 12V triggered by the switch. This will activate/deactivate each relay, turning on/shutting off your exterieor lights.

Do yourself a favor... wire the relays and switch up close together. This will minimise the wiring going everywhere.... if you do it this way.. you will have 2 power wires comming through the firewall, and 2accessory(power) wires leaving the cab of the truck

That make any sense? im beat heh

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic