icon

wiring off road lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justin_92_92 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
sounds good to me. I understand completely. I did get the relay from autozone (howd you know lol) and I do have a lighted toggle switch (also from autozone). thanx for being so patient with me. I guess it was common sence now  that i think about it. I was just kinda wondering about the power that goes to the switch. I thought i didnt need this due to having power to the relay already but I get it now. it will be a few days before i can brave the cold again though. i will post any problems or sucess......once again      THANX
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

When you mentioned you had your relay, but the diagram said 87 and 87a should run to your lights is when i thought you had AZ relays. AZ is about the only place i have found relays wired like this. Was late at night, we were out of SPDT's and az was the only place i could get em... got em ... wired up my 5wire reversal, blew fuses left and right... finally sat there with a test meter and figured out why... screwed me up bad = ) about the only 5 pin SPDT relays i have came across wired differently than they are supposed to be

Ok... about the power wire for your relays to your switch. Most switches cant handle ALOT of amperage. If you were to use a single toggle switch to power something that was drawing lots of amps, the switch would get hot, possibily melt, and burn up quick. Using a switch to "trigger" a relay, uses very little amperage, meaning you can use 1 single switch to trigger many relays, and never run the risk of blowing the switch apart.

If you wire up your relays to your lights. 87 to lighting, 86 ground, 30 +12V, the lights are sitting there ready to come on. By placing a +12V on pin 85, the mechanical/electromagnetic switch inside the relay click over and make contact. Connecting 30 and 87, giving you power up and down through the relay, all the switch does is turn the relay on and off... the relay turns the lights on and off. Its alot more reliable to use this setup, opposed to using just the toggle swithc to turn your stuff on and off.

justin_92_92 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Hey how much could I run off this relay? I have two other off road lights on my bumper that I could put on the other power spot on the relay. I have tried this and with a 20 amp fuse she blows but with a 30 amp fuse she stays working... is this a saftey problem......I hate electrical fires in my jeep....it is certainly a downer :(    Thanx for all the help by the way the light bar looks and lights great.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
Add up the total wattage and divide by 12 volts.  This'll give you a rough estimate how much current you're drawing.  Add a few more amps and you've got your fuse rating.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic