icon

Neon advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
I never hooked up a lot of different Neon product But I want to do a lot of in my new car Strobes undercar in car hood trunk I want it to look the the moon driving down the road. any avice on good product? any problem neon products? any wireing advice too would help I am thinking of having it all on seperate switchs. but I also want the interiors to come on with the doors opening just like the dome light?? Help
don't fowl the track
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Im not an expert with neon's... and if it was me, i wouldnt want them on a switch cept to maybe shut them off as needed... i would want them on a relay triggered by the ignition. which you could do both and just leave the switch on, and when you turn the key on the lights would light up. The inside lights you want to come on with the dome light would be easy.... now.. do you want these on only when the door is open or when the door is open OR the key is on? If you only want them on with the door, simply use the dome light's + or - as your trigger, and wire the relay accordingly. If you wanted it to do both, you would have to run a wire from the domelight trigger(if positive trigger) and isolate that with a diode... and run a wire from the ignition, diode isolate that and tie them both to pin 85 of the relay. If you have a - trigger, it will require an added relay. But i dont know a whole lot about neons though....
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
I post this in a differen forum and apperently they are too busy to repy (Not to read it just to reply) or they dont know the answers so I cam to the bunch of smart guys waiting around for somebody to come up with a challengine question. Well this one is not it but an answer would be appreciated. how much amperage does neon draw? Now I am looking for a ball park figure I want to hook up a lot NOT A LITTLE A LOT trunk underbody hood interior its gonna be trick with switchs it will all go on when I open the door or I will be able to shut it off completly or turn on individual items at a time (by the way I will need some help with that too) so through neon advice on me please..
don't fowl the track
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

i think the small tubes draw around 1 A each. Do you have the tubes already? If so you can measure the draw with most DMMs. I would be willing to assure you that a whole load of neon would be needed to exceed the current rating of most automotive relays...

How much is "a lot"?

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Smaller neon’s can draw anywhere up to 1 amp and the larger ones about 2. As far as hooking them up I would design 2 or 3 separate switches.  1 for the trunk, 1 for the interior, and 1 for the exterior. Now I would run a small 10 gauge fused cable from the + of the battery to a distribution block. That will supply you with the power you will need. For the exterior lights I would install a simple toggle switch so you can turn them on and off as desired. To wire the exteriors up run a wire from your distribution block to a toggle switch. Then hook up your neon’s + to the other end of the toggle switch. For your - just ground it to a clean bare metal surface on the chassis. That will turn on and off the exterior neon’s. For the interior I would use a  SPDT relay https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp so the neon’s go on and off with your dome light etc. To do so you will want to run a wire from your distro block to terminal 87 on the relay. Run a ground from the chassis or another ground location to terminal 86 of the relay. Run a wire from the + side of one of your interior lights (dome ETC.) to terminal 85. You will then connect your + side of the interior neon’s to terminal 30 on the relay. Then connect the neon's ground to the a clean metal surface on the chassis. This will turn the neon’s on and off with your interior lights. You can repeat the same step for the trunk or you can use the same circuit as the interior lights. I would also suggest you put a toggle switch in between the distroblock and terminal 87 on the relay, this will allow you to shut off the neon’s off if you don’t want them to come on every time your interior lights come on.

Here is a link to a 30 Amp SPDT relay http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003080720452217&item=11-2275&catname=electric IF you have any ?'s don't hesitate to ask.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic