icon

1 ohm stable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ink_driven 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 12" rockford HE2's w/ dual 4 ohm VC's. They are rated at 200watts RMS per VC 400 peak. I want to run them in parrallel. How efficient is an amp when running at a 1 ohm load? Am I going to have massive heat problems? Do any of you know of any amps that are capable of handling a constant 1 ohm load? They are hard to come by.
joshuahoule 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

Nice Choice,

There will be more heat, so consider 2 guage power cable.

You'll be looking for a Class D mono amp. I like Kenwood, Fosgate, or even Audiobahn.

sorry so short

gotta go

josh

jhouligan
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
basically theres 1 good choice the most people will agree on.  Its the JL 600.1 , it is a 1 channel class d sub amp that is stable at 1 ohm.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

The little Kenwood D class KDC8101(?) works really well.  Less than 40 amp draw, 1 ohm stable, runs cool.  Produces about 500 wRMS @ 1 ohm + 13 volts, all this and 2 year warrenty!

ink_driven 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 Rockford 12" HE2's Dual 4 ohm VC's. They are rated at 400rms 800max watts. What is the best setup for the pair. I was thinking of running them parrellel @ 1 ohm. Does anybody see this as a problem?   Am I going? to have serious heat issues by doin it this way? Or am I better off running the subs series-parrellel at 4 ohms with a massive amp? Any ideas on amps to us
ink_driven 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
sorry bout the double post. the old one just showed up two minutes ago. I am looking to push the RMS to the limit. So I would need about 800RMS @ 1 ohm. I could stand for +/- a few watts but I want to see what these can handle.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
The only problem I see is underpowering the subs the the recommended JBL, it is never a good idea to underpower your subs, especially if you are the person who likes to make them hammer. Consider any class D mono sub amp that is designed to operate at 1 ohm mono or a monster 2 channel amp that delivers 800w rms at 4 ohm mono. A Crossfire VR1000d is a great amp, the Lightning Audio Storm x1.1000.1d is another. The Rockford BD1000.1 is a 2 ohm mono designed amp and is not a good choice, however their big 2 channel 200 rms x 2 @ 4 ohm or 800 rms x 1 @ 4 ohm is a great choice.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
frazierk 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

There are many decent amps out there but a few things to remember.....

Just because an amp is  "1 ohm stable" doesn't necessarily mean that it will continuosly run at 1 ohm. Most will overheat and shutdown on hot days.... 1 ohm stable? - Last Post -- posted image.

Even though a speaker is rated at "4 ohms", this is not a constant. Speaker impedance is dependant on the frequency passing through it (it could be 80 ohms at 100 hz. .2 ohms at 20 hz etc. So while they be a "nominal" 1 ohm with your speakers in parallel, you may drop well into the tenths of an ohm at certain frequencies.

Last but not least,

No matter what amp you do buy, you have to feed it the power in order to get the power out. While your battery may be able to give you short bursts of power, most of your power comes from your alternator when the car is running. If your alternator is too small (light dims while stopped, etc), no matter what amp you buy (large power amps), you will never get that kind of power out of it (basic Ohms' law     power= volts X current ). example: If I wanted a 1000 watts out of an amp, at 12 volts, I would have to feed it 83 amps of current assuming the amp was 100% efficient (no such thing). Most stock alternators are sized 25 % larger than what is required to run the vehicle (I've worked for GM for 18+ years);so a 100 amp alternator would leave you 25 amps to work with. Sorry post is so long

pm me and I can elaborate more.........

kjf
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Audiobahn makes a good line of Class D and High Current Amplifiers, most of which are 1-ohm stable.  They also have heat protection, and integrated cooling fans, so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue, unless it's incredibly hot, or not enough air is getting to them.  They have power ratings all across the board, but keep in mind, they rate their amps at 14.4 volts, which is what cars usually put out while running.   Also, they tend to be a little more pricey.   Plus, I'm not sure about the new models, all designed for retail......quality issues(from mass production)???  We wont know for a while i assume...
~wayland
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
just buy u a jbl amp 600.1 or 1200.1 trust me its a hauss...i run mine at almost full power all the time and it gets slightly warm when i say crank it i mean all my light shut out cuz im puling so much power... its awesome

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic