the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to mirror fiberglass for opposite side?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ink_driven 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
Lets say I have made an elaborate fiberglass door panel. How do you mirror it to the oppisite side? Is there any trick to making the exact same thing for oppisite sides of the car? Or am I screwed and forced to endure the pain of trying to do it by ruler and eye??
nxtbesthing 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

You should have made two of all your parts as you made the irst one and made detailed plans as you made it or made them at the same time.  Now youve got to eyeball it you can get it close but unlikely perfect.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged  
I would layout the panel and take a photograph of it as straight as possible (standing over it).  Then, in photoshop or your favorite powerful image editing program, flip or mirror the image, and use that as a reference, to ease the pain of attempting to glass the otherside with identical features.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Good idea I will use. Photoshop like I never knew a good use for it.
ink_driven 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I guess I will just do two of everything when I get started in the spring. For some reason I thought that there would be an easier way to do it.
How to mirror fiberglass for opposite side? -- posted image. How to mirror fiberglass for opposite side? -- posted image. ugh!!
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

try taking your pics in photoshop, and printing them up in sections to actual size (use a ruler in your picture just to make sure that it's an "actual" actual size..... print up all the sections and assemble them on a piece of cardboard to where you have a life size reverse picture of the actual panel.  this can help get your reverse curves and angles (not to mention vertical and horizontal dimensions) exactly the same for both sides - not to mention, just having the actual size picture as reference, you can use it for comparison and see if / when you go wrong somewhere.

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
one other thing i didn't think of until after that post - if you can get your hands on some latex (not the paint) and you make yourself a cast of your current panel, you might try pouring a thin layer of latex on the cast, let it dry - then take it off and flip it over.  you will have the  "inverted glove" of your origional, but - it will require a backing of sorts to make it useable for making your reverse cast.  you should be able to carve or form yourself a backing out of a piece of celotex or other similar insulation panels (the reason i suggest it is, it's light weight, cheap, and you can carve it with a plastic knife -though a straight razor works best in my experience).   you can get those panels in sizes at least 4" thick or down to 1.5" thick - and of course, you could stack layers to make thicker.  once you have something "roughed in" to the similar shape, you could shoot a thin layer of expanding foam (the minimum expansion type) over the whole thing, then lay your latex "flipped inside out" glove over the foam.  as the foam expands, you can press down parts that seem to be getting to high, etc.  once the thing becomes rigid, you can pour yourself some plaster, and have a permanent mold that will give you the reverse that should only take minimal fine tuning to be just what you want.  when you've got it perfected, you can take that same plaster mold, pour another thin layer of plaster in it, and press your fine tuned piece into it until it hardens.   from that cast, you can make panels that will only need to be flash sanded then they're ready for paint (unless you feel like you must put a final glaze coat over it first).  you can easily make 30+ door panels from that mold - if you're careful, who knows how many.   i've made side panels for motorcycles (with the emblem "built into" the side cover) - farings, spoilers, just about anything you can carve out of bondo, wood, plastic, whatever - get your shape you want, make a plaster cast in a plastic tub, and you're dialed and you can duplicate your work over and over.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Superchuckles,

have you done this before- mirrored a panel using latex, and where do you get it?  That sounds like a good idea if it'll work.  I understand when you take it off to flip it inside-out it's flimsy so it needs reenforcement.  What's that celotex stuff, and where do you get it?

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest taking your first panel and putting tin foil on it, then glassing with about 3 layers.take it off when dry and then use the inside to mold a new one. If you want to to look good itll take time.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I understand what you're saying, I can make molds no problem.  I was seeing if anyone's made a mirror image mold by using Superchuckles' idea or not- latex over one piece, then remove it, and flip it inside out- reinforce it, and you have a plug.  Have you done this before, or know anyone that has?  The theory is there, I just don't know how difficult or easy this really is.  Any input?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic