icon

cold temperatures v.s. equipment

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tunesmith 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
hi fellas, i have a question concerning cold temperatures in my region and any possible adverse effects it may have on my stereo equipment, i came out to my vehicle this morning and to my dismay my eqipment was icy could someone tell me if these freezing temps will harm my amp, cap or any other componets i may have , - your replies would be appreciated greatly. thanks in advance, tunesmith. (p.s common sense seems to tell me yes , and i havent even considered turning it on , i was mainly worried about my cap maybe freezing and maybe bursting , i also realize it probably should have stored current to help offset this possible negative scenario, .)
Deez_Nutz 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the kind of subs you have they may crack in the cold but other than  that nothing i can think of most electronics work better at low temps but im not an expert i have had no problems with my setup and its like 20 degrees or less out here a lot so i dont know other than that
My Ride
http://members.cardomain.com/kwickymart
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

Cold weather isn't going to hurt solid state circuitry.  The only thing you'll have to worry about is moisture getting into your equipment.  As the temps drop down, it will stiffen up the cone on your sub, depending on what it's made out of, the surround can actually shatter.  A good idea is to warm up your car completely before you start cranking up the tunes.  Also, keep the tunes down and gradually increase the volume, so that the surround can get flexed and warmed up before it starts excursing a lot.  A couple days ago, we just hit -35 degrees fahrenheit.  Freaking cold.

--mindctrl

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
mindctrl wrote:
A couple days ago, we just hit -35 degrees fahrenheit.  Freaking cold.
-48'C for 4 days straight, and the rest of the week was -26'C, now thats freeking cold !!!
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
tunesmith 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
thanks fellas i guess that answers most of my concerns,the  moisture buidup from the freeze thaw effect i guess was one of my major concerns on the electrical componets,possible shorting if not completely dry when appling power i guess since i dont have a garage i should play it safe and wait till it warms up a little thanks guys for your input!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic