icon

4 RCA pre-outs to 2 channel amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Druid_goldeyes 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm tryind to install my new Rockford Punch 2 channel amp to my Kenwood deck. the deck has 4 RCA pre-out wires, 2 red, 2 white. the amp only has 2 RCA plugs: one labeled left, one right. What goes where? I plan on running it bridged for my sub.

Also, I've heard that stuffing the sub box with polyfill "tricks" the sub into thinking it's in a bigger box, making it louder. However, does this also decreace the responce/sound quality?

Cheerz

meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

The 4 RCA pre-out wires simply mean the Kenwood Deck is capable of controing two amps. I am curious, does this deck have sub woofer eq controls? I am not sure about the polyfill question.

MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
Druid_goldeyes 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

i'm not sure about the sub eq control. I'll have to check when i get home.

So what you're saying is i only have to conect one red and one white? Or both red?

mrcarsound 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

Filling the box is mostly used in order to compensate for a too small box. It might come in very handy If you are restricted in available space and still want to respect the desired / recommended enclosure size.

Besides giving the impression to the subwoofer that it is playing in a bigger box it has some other advantages :

- decrease / elimination of so called 'standing waves' will result in smoother / flattened frequency response

- slightly better efficiency (don't expect any miracles !)

When filling the box make sure the area directly behind the woofer cone stays free of filling material as

- the cone might come in contact with the filling

- the woofer might 'choke'

Do realize that you will have to experiment and measure a lot with the quantity of filling material before you will obtain the best result.  

Good luck !

Eric

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
What you'll probably need for the amp is a y connector (splitter) for the RCAs. But instead of splitting the RCA signal you'll do just do it in reverse. So you run the RCAs (right and left for both) from the radio to the y adapter. That will turn 4 signal in to 2. And then plug the Y adapter into your amp. Here's an example of what one looks like
http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/audiocable/AFMMYP.asp
Hope that helps
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   4 RCA pre-outs to 2 channel amp -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Just use one set - one red and one white from either the front or the rear output - to your 2-channel amp.  I usually use the rear set in a head unit without a sub output.
Deez_Nutz 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
may i ask why you would hook up all 4 rca's from the deck usually they are like that for a front rear or even a non fader hookup not to be put together whats the point please let me know (not trying to be rude trying to learn)
My Ride
http://members.cardomain.com/kwickymart
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
what is the model of your radio?? that will help us in telling you what set you should hook up........there is no way you will use all 4 (both sets ) on a 2 channel amp..............WHATS THE MODEL NUMBER????
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
Deez_Nutz 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
if there is a set for non-fader use them they are the best for subs no matter how much you fade it front bac side to side same amount of bass i got my eclipse hooked up that way sounds great
My Ride
http://members.cardomain.com/kwickymart
Druid_goldeyes 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the help guys. They are for front and rear (I actually cracked open the manual :P). The non-fading is only on the model above mine. Thanks again for all the help. Now I just have to do all the in-car wiring.

I do have one other question, but I'll put that in a new post. It should be close to this one.

Cheerz,

goldeyes

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic