icon

What box for L7 in bronco

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

i just bought a Solo-Baric L7, 12", Dual 4-ohm voice coils and i am going to hook it up to my 1000watt DHD amp, 2channels bridged to one voice coil and the other two channels bridged to the other voice coil.

i have a full size bronco and i was wondering what kind of box to put the sub in to get maximum SPL?

Also, is the way I am planning to hook it up ok, or is something not right. i just wanna get it right and not blow up my expensive speaker

mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

To achieve maximum SPL, go with a bandpass, but I would suggest sticking with a ported box.  My friend built the biggest ported box he could for his kicker, and it sounds amazing.  As for the amp setup, you have a 1000 watt 4channel amp?? nice... Anyways, you shouldn't run into too much issue with the amp... But are you presenting a 4ohm load, or a 1ohm??... That can definately have an effect... Let me know.

--mindctrl

Deez_Nutz 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
bandpass would be great but it beats the hell out of your sub so i would go ported just get the size right and port right you should be hitting low and crushing ears so play it loud and shake some ground
My Ride
http://members.cardomain.com/kwickymart
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

Each sub should be wired in parallel (for a 2 ohm load) to its own channel. Here is a diagram of how it should be wired http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_parallel_dual_4.pdf use the 1st diagram (with one sub) the diagram only shows 1 channel with one sub. You have 2 subs so just wire each sub to its own channel. As far as the enclosure goes if you’re looking for SLP go with a ported box. You can find the ported box specs in the user manual http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals/SoloL7Man.pdf

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry bberman, it must have been really early for you, maybe you haven't had enough coffee yet, no worries. I read his post as though he had bought one dual 4ohm L7. He also has a 4 channel amp (upgrade to a better amp dude) He is right to bridge each pair of channels to make his amp a 2 channel bridged design and use each channel to drive one voice coil. While this is not exactly the best as there will be difference between the crossovers, gain control and efficiency of the amp sections, it will work for now, but (upgrade the amp dude).

If you like to blow up subs go for that big nasty bandpass box, it's a great sub destroyer. Yes it will play loud but you will limit yourself to a narrower range of useable sound. If you build yourself a sealed enclosure that the driver actually recommends you will find that it will still play quite loud, your sound qaulity will improve and your useable range of frequencies will improve (read it will play lower bass), sounds like a better way to go to me.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic