icon

high output alternator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ink_driven 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Starting in the spring I am gutting a '98 eclipse to begin working on a custom install of a dvd and monitor, 2/3 rockford He2's, 2 1.4 farad digital caps, 1500w or so mono sub amp, a 400w 4 channel amp, four pioneer three ways, two Rockford 3" mids, and playstation 2 w/ 2nd monitor. Am I going to need to get a high output alternator to run all this stuff??? Can I get by with an Optima battery or two instead? I would like to be able to have all this stuff run at one time with no drain from the cars engine and power system.
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
definately suggest you go with the alternator as well as a optima if you have all that equipment why not be able to enjoy it....
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
look at mean green alternators on the internet, they have bullet proof alts just for your application.
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Where do u find mean green alternators?
1 plus 1 equals 2
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
 You will defiantly need a high out put alternator it is the heart of your electrical system. If your alternator is not supplying the proper power then your components are not functioning as they were designed to. You will also need to upgrade all your power and ground cables between the battery chassis and alternator. I would suggest that you call around and get some prices from these guys,
http://www.mean-green.com
Dominick 615-287-7991, Michiana Rebuilders 1-800-627-4812,
 C.S.A 1-334-712-9955 or 1-334-791-6272, http://www.mechman.com/home.html
http://www.wranglernw.com
http://www.mralternator.com
http://www.alternatorparts.com
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
high output alt. is a must, it made a HUGE differnce in my system.... if youre going to have a huge system like this, think about it, where is all youre equipment gonna get its juice?
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
high output alternator? -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
kalito 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
you can also get one from 4alterstart.com... i got mine for almost $300 with a new power cable and s+h is a 200 amp for my blazers s-10 1995
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Are you playing test tones or music. If you play test tones then yes upgrade the alt. Otherwise no you dont need to. The only real loads you stated are the amps. The screens and PS2 draw no more power than say 10a continuous... at the most.
Not to use my vehicle as an example but I have 7 amps, screens, no caps. My headlights dont dim and I can rock out endlessly. Bottom line 2 amps shouldnt kill your alternator. Its when you exceed 120% of its rated output when you run into problems.
As long as you dont drive with the A/C, rear defog, hi beams, adjusting your power seat while rolling down your power window with the stereo at full boar you my friend, will be okay.
Someone pass me that bottle.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic