Buying 4 Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KrazyLoCo 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hey All,

While shopping for 4 mid/high speakers, I noticed they come in pairs of 2. On the specs (example>>>) it says 300 watts max. Then on the speaker it says 300 watts. Does this mean that they are 300 watts each and a total of 600 watts per pair, or does it mean both of them combined equals 600 watts. I know they mean peak power, but I just want to get this straight. Like I said, it says 300 watts on the back of the speaker, so I would guess it's 600 watts PEAK total? Thanks, I don't want to under power my 4 speakers so I need to get this cleared up. Yes I know I am a noob! : )

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

It depends on the speaker.  Some manufacturers give better ratings than others, and some outright lie.  What make/model are you considering?

KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

I was thinking of buying some Pioneer, JVC, or Kenwood speakers.

astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
White lies... soundstorm,pyramid,jenson,SONY HAHA outright lies...
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
throw some exact model numbers at us and we can tell you precisely what wattages you will be getting.....
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

Alright guys, I think I figured it out. In the specs, the mean per speaker. Cuz in the description is said 240 watts and in the specs it said 120 (240/2=120) meaning they go by speaker. Here were some speakers that I was looking at >> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?...

Heh the RMS power is 2-50 and the peak is 240. So those aren't worth it.

I have another question though, what do they mean by 2-way, 3-way or 4-way speakers??

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

The number of ways on a speaker does not necessarily mean it will sound better, what the manufacturer is doing is splitting the audio signal into different sections for each particular speaker (1 of each "way") to do it's job. Does a 4 way speaker from Kenmore of Pioneer sound better than a 2 way from MB Quart, definitely not. Listen to the speaker, buy what your ear likes, you hear in decibels, not watts. RMS is the main concern if you want to buy a speaker based on watts, it is the true rating of what the speaker can safely play under consistent use. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with how it sounds.

A speaker that has a rating of 150watts rms will play no louder than one of 50 watts rms, if the efficiency is the same. What will make it louder is the amount of clean power you can deliver to it, the larger speaker will take more clean power, thus is able to play louder when and if it is fed the clean power.

Are you going to be running these speakers off of a amp or just off of the cd player?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

2-way, etc. refers to how many individual driver elements are included in each "speaker."  2-way is the classic co-axial setup with a woofer and a tweeter.  3- and 4-way speakers add midranges and/or "super tweeters."  For most installations, a 2-way seems to sound the best when choosing among these types.

If you need 6X8 (or 5X7, which is the same thing) HERE's my favorite sounding speaker in this size, the Infinity Kappa 572.5.  100 watts RMS (per speaker) and 300 watts peak, with near-component level performance and better than average bass output for a speaker this size (compares favorably with a 6X9.)  Ike Sound's price is near cost and is pretty unbeatable.

KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I will be running the speakers off of an amp (hopefully!).

Thanks for your informative posts. I appreciate it, I am learning finally.

And thanks for the link, DYohn, those speakers look good, I will try to find some around here.

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I second DYohn's Reccomendation.  If you're going to be running an amp for your speakers, and looking for that price range, I'd go with the Infinity Kappa 572.5CFs.....well actually I did.  I have 2 sets in my truck, and love the sound quality......great highs,  awesome mids....decent lows........   People comment every time they hear them, for their crisp clean sound.   Plus the warranty and price is right on...........Go with the Kappa's!   Only problem is.....the external crossovers usually need a good place to mount.........so make sure you've got the space..........and you're all set....
I bought my Kappa's from Crutchfield, and power them with an Audiobahn Amplifier, also purchased from Crutchfield, but now available at Sounddomain.  Very good match if you ask me. Crutchfield has excellent technical support, and if you're not sure, I'd spend the extra few dollars and buy from them....if not, try Ikesound, like they said. 
Can't go wrong with Kappas.............
~wayland

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic