icon

Putting Stereo In 1989 Chevy C 1500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ringman69 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
ok well I got an box with the subs and they have been used before, so they got all the hookups and stuff installed in the speaker box. I also got a pair of RCA cables that is optional on my CD player. SO like to get some good "boom" with out speading money out my ass, how high of a amp sahould I plant in this baby without getting a high output alternator?
Ringman69
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on what subs you have and what box they are in. If they came with a manual it should tell you the reccomended continuous power your subs like. If they didnt come with a manual check on the back of the sub's magnet, it might say there. Also if your sub is in a ported box the subs will probly like about 100 watts continuous power less than what is reccomended in the manual. If you tell me what subs you have i can reccomend and amp for you.
ringman69 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
ok this box is home made I bought from a fellow of mine. no manual or anything, they are rated at 350 watts a piece. they do have tweeters and blowers in the box built in.  now what do I need for cables, amps, and stuff?
Ringman69
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

So your saying its a full range box that has two woofers and two tweeters on it and that its ported. If this is your case then you will probobly want a 2 channel amp to power your box. you will also want an amp wiring kit from someone like Stinger or Streetwire. An amp kit includes an rca cable ,a power cable (you connect this to the red positive terminal on your battery) a ground cable which you attach to the amp and then the chassis of your car, a turn on lead ( which you will have to run to your new cd player so your amp will turn on when your radio does) , and various connectors you can crimp onto the end of the power ,ground ,and turn on lead cables. If your woofers handle 350 watts max you wont need that big of an amp. Probobly only a 125 watts continuous X 2. Rockford Fosgate makes one. The Punch 301S brigdged to power your two woofers will output 150 watts continuous to each woofer. You can run your tweeters off of your head unit which should give them plenty of power. Since you didnt mention anything about midranges you will just have to use your dash speakers for that. If you do have midranges in your box then you can for instance get a four channel amp and use 2 of its channels for the woofers and the other 2 you can use for the midranges and tweeters. Hope this helps you.

return2punkokc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to add on to this post. I have the same truck and was wondering how to install a stereo myself here. I am glad I found this place with the lead on teh schosche parts. I just ordered the following parts from sounddomain.com

Scosche GM02 Car Stereo Wiring Harness

Scosche GM1482 Car Stereo Installation Kit

Scosche MDA1 Antenna Adapter

After I ordered I found this Part # SCOGM1518B. It is a little storage place that can go in place of the stock radio..

Just wanted to pass on and say thanks.

J

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic