icon

keep getting electricuted

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
i recently did some car work. i made a custom encloser for my trunk so i un connected all my amps and what not. then i reconnected them the same way. i put a few neones on. now everytime i toucch something metal in the car i getting a little shock. its real annoying. anyone have an idea what causes this and how i can fix it?
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
If you are indeed recieving an electrical shock from from the vehicle. Then that is most likely due to a improper ground.
If you live in an area which is very cold and dry as it is here in the north, more than likely that is just simple ESD.
Simply installing a ground strap to the vehicles under body chassis will *bleed* off the potential difference in the vehicle, and you.
Taking a simple 12 guage wire and affixing it to the under side of the bumper will reap the same effects as buying the straps in the retail stores.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
thanx man. a few questions though...
what would an imporper ground be?
also i do live in a very cold area it has been 0 degress the past few days. that could be it. whats does ESD mean.
and what is a grounded strap?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
An improper ground would be anything that falls into the following scenerios.
- Loose connection point, in wiring crimp or connector(s)
- Contact area is not properly mated to bare metal.
- Improper guage (size) of wire being used.
- Ground point is not affixed to actual frame, and only sub frame.
E.S.D = Electrical Static Discharge aka *I got shocked*
A grounding strap is normally seen on many Northern vehicles. They are flat pieces of nylon strap, with small lines of metal wires weaved into the fabrique.
You will see them dragging behind the vehicles lower bumper area. This simple ground strap will *bleed* off the build up of potential difference of ESD from the vehicle, and you to the ground.
You will see alot more ESD on older style Michelin tires, as the compound used were not of high quality rubber.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
im thinking it's the esd. its been cold the past few days and thats when ive been noticing it. i havent had the car in the winter yet. if it was an improper ground would the shock my greater? im jsut getting a little "tingle". i have some no name tires but they are new maybe its the rubber they are made of.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
I would be more inclined to think that it is just the dry climate, and lack of relative humidity.
But the silicate compond witch the tire is made of, also contributes to the overall ESD effect, or the lack of.
Regards
EVIL Teken
p71-cruiser 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Hook a solid rubber bungee to any part of the car that's metal ( watch out for moving parts) and  remove any metal hooks on it .

I put mine on with a strong wire around the body, and the bungee worked great

mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Im not convinced its a static problem, im leaning more toward a bad ground or something with the neon's not getting warm enough, Try disconnecting power to your neons and amp for a while and see if the problem isnt cured... this will point you in the correct direction

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic