icon

Saftey Ideas for R/S Manual Tranny

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiophyle_247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 93 Honda Del Sol w/ a 5 speed manual. I have been searching this forum for several days & have not found what I am looking for. The best Idea I have found to safely install a R/S on a manual is w/ a series to relays connecting my ebrake to the clutch bypass. This is a great idea, however if the ebrake is only pulled a quarter inch, the clutch will bypass, & im sure that the car will run away from me. I am trying to incorporate a switch into the shift linkages. Somthing that reads only when in neutral, or only when in gear.  I will have attached a buzzer (like headlights have) & an illuminated icon on the dash. This way if I loan the car out, perhaps they pull the ebrake & turn the car off. It will begin to buzz, & the dash will light up saying it is still in gear. To silence the buzzing, pull tranny out of gear.  My ideas were to have a pin switch connected backward w/ cables running through several pulleys. So if in gear the linkages would pull the cable, which would pull the bottom of the pin switch, which would disconnect the switch from ground. Or instead of cables & pulleys, use a cable from a bike shifter or brakes. What ever the best solution is, This is what I am searching for. Too many are persuing the wrong direction of R/Sing a manual tranny.  The Ebrake is not the whole answer, nor the clutch bypass. Both are equally important, but alone are worse. For they promote a false notion of saftey.  Please respond, positive or negative, all feedback is appreciated!
Unless it raises the hair on the back of your neck, its only noise!
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
You really should buy a unit designed for manual transmission vehicles. It is much safer and much easier to install. The units designed for manual transmissions require you to enter "ready mode" (different units call it it different names) in order for the remote start feature to be available. The latest way of doing this is to pull the e-brake, leave the car in neutral, turn the car off (it will stay running), then get out and shut the door and the car will automatically shut off. So to install this, you need to grab the door trigger and the ebrake wires. Pulling the e-brake turns on the RS, and the door trigger opening then closing turns it off. Then if you open the door again, the unit exits "ready mode". This is how the unit can be sure you are in neutral. Some vehicles have a factory neutral safety switch wire you can use for added security, but it is not necessary and your vehicle likely doesnt have one anyway.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Crimestopper 2015FM Informer alarm w/ RS. How would you suggest I set up a "ready Mode". & lets say I loan out my car, A friend drives it, stops, & turns the key off & immediatly lets the clutch out expecting the car to not be running. I would much rather have a saftey switch to safe guard. It cant be THAT HARD to figure out.  But I would like to hear your response to my question above about a friend borrowing my car.
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
You can buy a NSS module which adds the ready mode features to your remote starter. It doesnt automatically turn on the RS. You need to manually enter stop and go mode first. So in other words your friend would not be able to use the remote starter unless you showed him how to enter ready mode.
Here is a link to the NSS Module:
NSS
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
rage237 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

there should be a ground (hood trigger) no start trigger

find that wire

take 2 springs and run then along the top of the shift pattern (so if the car is in 1-3-5 it will touch the spring)

and then the same for 2-4-6/R

make sure that there is no connection when in nuetral

run a jumper wire from the two spring and then connect them to the safety no start when grounded lead on your remote start system

your car will not start when in gear...

i have a IG8000 with IS4 and am going to be doing this soon (i am in a lazy mode) but a friend of mine that works at another local shop did this in his integra and has never had it ghost-drive on him since (i almost ran my accord into my garage door cause my mother-in-law did not know to leave the car out of gear!!)

hope that helps and i will try and get pics of the setup when i do it in my car

audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

That sounds Like the answer I am looking for! Thanks Rage237. Ready Modes or not I would much prefer a physical saftey device than a programmed system that can malfunction or short out.  Email me those pics when you get them. Or I will send some out if I finish mine soon.  audiophyle_247@yahoo.com

jrilla 
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
The sequence that is required to enter "ready mode" is the reason why it is safer than any other methods, because the unit itself will not even attempt to start the vehicle unless it recognizes the sequence. If the thing shorts out (entirely unlikely anyway) it will just not work altogether. Shorting out is not going to trick the unit into thinking the proper sequence was just performed.
Now I am sure there are units out there that were installed using reed switches, or infrared sensors, and they have successfully worked and still do, but those units are still subject to failure over time. The other issue is that you have to be incredibly confident in your installation in order to trust it and since it is likely going to be the first and last time you install something like this, I cant imagine that you or anyone could realistically have that much confidence in it.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
ok jrilla, perhaps you are correct. I check the site mentioned above w/ the nns bypass. Nothing is said other than what it functions as. I want to know exactly how it works. How it manipulates the RS to not start, how it establishes itself in ready mode. I mostly want to know if this $50.00 (+ s&h) unit is worth it, or if I can build one w/ simple components for a fraction of the cost.  I do appreciate your feedback & await your reply.
p71-cruiser 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

The NNs system needs to see that the car has been started by the key before you get out of the car you hit the remote start (keeps the motor running )then open your car door the Rs shuts the car off when the door is closed the Rs knows that the car is in netural because you left the car running.You have to repeat this process each time you open your door.

Hope this is easy to understand

p71-cruiser

audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
My alarm already has this option, ( to push the RS button & car remains running) I was wondering if the NSS bypass activates this option AUTOMATICALLY when you shut off the car, or if it disables the RS automatically if it is not activated! I still think its a waste of money. Can someone prove me wrong? Can I get a complete explanation on how it works (technical preferred) not just what it does, Please.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic