icon

03 Chevy Blazer RDS system upgrade?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scriv1969 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Anything special about installing after market stereo into a 03  Chevy Blazer with non Bose RDS Factory radio, Is it a simple aftermarket  harness to existing factory harness???? or is it more complicating ? Been reading the owners manual and it states I have Passlock theft-deterrent system. Also a nice feature Id love to keep  if someone could help, called (RAP) Retained Accessory Power that lets you keep radio, power window, etc to work for 20 min or until a door is opened. I just want to install it right the first time. Thanks to everyone who replies in advance.    
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Your vehicle uses a class 2 data bus system http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/install_notes/OBDII.htm  what equipment are you installing?
scriv1969 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine cd/cassette stereo
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Alright your best bet is to get a relocation harness http://autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jopoenq8 to move the radio to the trunk so you can retain all of its features. The harness will also give you all the connections you will need to hook up your aftermarket radio. Now the only thing you will need to do is find a switched + 12volt since the factory radio harness dose not have one. But since you want to hook up the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) you will use that as you’re switched + 12 volt. Now The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) relay is in the driver's side fuse box. Pull the relay halfway out, so it still operates, but you can carefully slide a test light or meter against the terminals. Test the terminals until you find the one that operates correctly. I think it is terminal #30, but not sure. After you have identified the right terminal, wrap a wire around it and reinsert the relay. Connect a small inline fuse 10 amps or so. Then connect the Switched + 12volt from the harness / radio to the other side of the fuse, and you're done. The reason for the fuse is so that if your head unit shorts out sometime in the future, the fuse will blow and of course your head unit will shut off, but at least the rest of the car's accessories will remain operational until you can repair the problem. If you have any questions or need more details don’t hesitate to ask.

scriv1969 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
 Thanks bberman1. Ive been reading other posts about this issue, I do not have On Star(whether it makes a difference), plus i plan on switching out the stock fr/door speakers, I will be adding an amp and subwoofer also, I wish there was a better and easier way of installing instead of buying a relocation harness for the factory radio. Have you ever installed in this year of a Blazer??? 
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

I have never done that Blazer but I have done plenty of Class 2 Data bus systems which are almost all identical as far as wiring and components go. You can do the install without the harness but I do not suggest you do so.

scriv1969 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
I called crutchfield this morning, and one of the technicians said I dont need a relocation kit for this model.  Since I dont have the door chime in the passenger side door . Also no messages are sent to the factory radio, like oil monitor, etc. He also said that my  blazer had switched 12 volt power. so all I should need is a harness for my aftermarket alpine. Hope everything goes smoothe. 
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the misinformation, I had a feeling last night that the Blazers might not use the Data Bus system yet.
richs 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
There are a couple of modules made by SoundGate that takes care of the Class 2 data bus issues. One for vehicles without OnStar and one for vehicles with OnStar. By using one of these, you do not have to relocate the radio.
Best Regards,
Rich
scriv1969 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

Everything went fine,and sounds GREAT. stereo shop I had to get harness tryed to give me a relocation kit, Told them about this forum and all the info learned-they were puzzled with my dilemna. It seems that the 03 blazer(last year of  before trailblazer  came out) has a rds radio but it does not get as complicated as the newer rds radios.  I still had my door chime after taking the factory radio out. The Blazer harness does not have  switched 12v wire. so I ran a power fire from my fuse box(windshield wipers) to the new stereo. Thanks again to everyone who replied to this question. I really appreciate allthe help.

This system consists of                                                                                      Alpine 3DAW882  In dash 3 CD changer & Cassette (awesome receiver), 1 pair JBL 6.5 952S speakers(slim line for front doors) 1 Us Acoustics 4085 4-channel amp, 1JL  Audio 10 in subwoofer.

P.S This system really surprised me on the clarity and the power ( IT Rocks)

Thanks again everyone.         

Rod

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic