icon

amp turns on and off until it gets warm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flyingfast163 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

i have 2 amps installed one is pushing 2 rockfordfosgate 10in woofers with a 4 channel amp and the other one is pushing 4 5x7's eclipse speakers it is to a 4 channel amp, the one pushing the door speakers cuts in and out until it gets warm then doesn't do it any more

any help with this would help thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a defective amp to me.  If it's under warranty take it back, if not get a repair quote from a factory authorized service center.
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

WOW do you think that u might do a little troubleshooting first.

How is the amp hooked up?

Where are the remote wires comming from? and the power wires? Be detailed if you want more help

don't fowl the track
flyingfast163 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

ok from the deck i have 2 sets of rca's going to a crossover then from there i have one rca going out to the sub amp which is bridged into 2 channels then one rca going from the high and mid into the other amp and then a speaker hooked up to each channel.remote wire comes from the deck and power wire from batterey

thanks

Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

I think that you might of missed what I was asking

The remote wire comes from your deck right?

Than goes to what amp?

How do you get your other amp to turn on?

don't fowl the track
eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
check your fuse holder too. i have heard of dodgy ones which have a bad connection to the fuse. it would take some arcing to warm up maybe...
2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
You say the amp is bridged,  Are your subs 4 or 8 ohms, and is your amp 2 ohm stable?  Sounds like your amp is clipping from the overload.
Do it right the first time
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

You need to find the source of the problem and you are nowhere even close to finding it yet . The problem could be the cd, the crossover or the amp. You need to start eliminating equipment to find the problem. To me it sounds like a cold solder joint, thus when it warms up it makes a better contact, this could be anywhere in the audio chain.

Start by bypass the crossover  all together, run the "faulty" channel direct from the cd player, if the problem goes away the problem should be in the crossover. If it does not go away, next step.

Keep the crossover disconnected. Turn all built in crossovers on the amp and if applicable on the cd player to off, no lp or no hp. Take the rca from the front amplifier and plug it into the sub amp, if the problem still exists it should be the sub amplifier, but more work is necessary to find out. If the problem does not exist plug the sub rca into the front amp, with moderate volume only, not loud, does the front amp now start to cut out, if not the problem is not the cd player, but should be the other amp, if the front amp is now cutting out it will be the cd player or the sub rca wire.

To verify the rca cable as the cause, swap in a new rca cable on the sub rca channel, is the problem there or not, plug it into both amplifiers to check, if the problem is ther on both amps it is the cd player.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Does the amp have a power on led, sheck to see if it still lit when the amp is going on and off. It does not sound like the amp is clipping at all from the load presented, it sure does sound like a bad amp, Dyohn is probably bang on.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, Rob.  In general, when a piece of equipment operates erratically and the erratic behavior seems to be related to heat, it is not an external ssue (meaning it has nothing to do with the hookups.)  It is a thermal fault happening inside the equipment.  I have seen amps malfunction in the way described and usually it is a defective component in the input circuits.  If the fault is reversed (works fine until it heats up then it cuts out) the defect is usually in the output circuits.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic