2001 Kia Sportage cruise control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

this cruise don't work

i am installing rostra cruise on a 2001 kia sportage, like they are gonna take that thing on a long drive,, hehe

anyway, i mounted the unit and everything is secure, i installed on other cars with no problem

i have my brake all wired, both sides, i have the ignition, and i also am triggering a relay with the clutch to kill the cruise..

the handle lights up, when i push the clutch, it goes out.. perfect.

i did not hook up the tach...  do i need it?

and i cant find the VSS

i found the connector at the trans and tapped the blue/black... it didnt work..

i flipped the dip switch for manual transmission... the unit just does not engage when i test it...

HELP

is that the correct VSS, do i need a tach?

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
If you have installed a circuit that opens the purple wire when you depress the clutch you have done it correctly. Run the purple wire form the cold side of the brake switch through a relay that opens the wire when you depress the clutch. This will disengage the cruise and retain it's memory. Don't hook up the tach. Program the cruise as an automatic. If the VSS doesn't work, see if there is a WHITE/ black at the diagnostic connector under the driver's side dash and try it. KIA did some mid year changing of wires. If you are using a vacuum cruise, you can test the electrical easily by turning on the ignition keya and cruise switch. Press and hold the set switch and if the cruise makes a clicking sound you have everything correct. The only thing it won't tell you is if the VSS is OK. When you push the brake or clutch pedal while doing this test the clicking should stop. Finally, check and make sure that all the brakes lights are working as this does make a difference.
sparky
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I found another VSS listing as blue/green in pin 42 of the ECM under the right dash carpet.
sparky
eurotek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

first, thanks a million for responding, i have the appointment on tuesday.

this vehicle is a manual, still program as automatic? It is not vacuum type. I found a blue/green under thhe carpet, not sure if it is the correct one, but it did not work either. I will redo the clutch opening circuit like u say, but i know that would not keep the cruise from engaging. I mean, nothing happens, i tried it even at 45mph.

is there anyway for me to test the cruise itself? probably not, i have another unit coming just incase.  If i cant find the VSS, how else can i install a cruise? is there anything i can add to avoid looking for the VSS? should i just install a vacuum one? are they difficult?

fredisfound 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
Even with a vacuum one you still need the vss , If the vehicle has a 2 wire sender on the gearbox check these with a multimeter, one side should be 12volt+, the other side will be vss. If it is a 3 wire unit One will be 12volt+ one will be Negative and one will be vss.Hope this helps, Have done several sportages without probs...Tom Allen,,,,, lost in Queensland.Australia.
eurotek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Tom,

I will try that once again, this vehicle has a 2 wire sender, and is located from passenger side towards end of transmission. I have tried both wires, neither worked.  there is a GREEN/ red and blue/black.  maybe i have a bad connection, ill check it, but i seriously doubt it.

i hope im lookin at the correct plug. i should of stuck with just alarms. just did a rio today, no problem, except the clutch would not let me tap it to use a relay to interrupt cruise. each time i pushed the clutch, i heard  a grinding noise, and thats without shifting, other than that , it works great..

as far as the sportage, i am still lost, we'll see on tuesday

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Rostra cruise controls are best set in the automatic mode. Don't use the tach wire. You must put in a clutch switch though or a relay. Rostra has two clutch switches available:250-3127 and 250-4126. The first one may replace the clutch position stop bolt in most import vehicles. (located on clutch pedal switch bracket) The other one contains the same switch and hardware to install it in vehicles that have a different size bolt. In most case the first one will work and installs in minutes. It's purpose is to open or break the cold /switched side of the brake circuit. Double check that the purple wire has a ground on it with the ignition off and neither brake or clutch pedal being pressed. The cruise won't set if this is not so. Using the electronic cruise is better for imports as they sometimes lack a good source of vacuum. Insure that your dip switch settings are correct( open or closed circuit switch and square wave for VSS pulse). Unfortunately there is no way to test the cruise itself other trhan insuring your electrical connections are correct.Good luck.
sparky
eurotek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

i thank everyone for their quick responses and help...

after replacing the cruise and all, i had the same problem, the VSS was correct, blue/black on the trans.. the dip switches were incorrectly set for the handle, and actually, cruise activated when i accidently pushed the wrong button on the handle..

duh!

when that happened,  i knew connections were good

thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic