icon

Can't get deck out of 90 Topaz!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
one_toes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hi. I recently bought a 1990 Mercury Topaz off of my grandparents. This car does not have the factory deck, but has an out-dated JVC tape deck. And I can't figure out how to get it out of the dash. And all I can on this, is for the removal of the factory deck with coat hangers. I looked at some other stuff, and am fairly sure this deck is of the DIN type and not the SHAFTED. Because I can't remove the knobs or face plate.

This deck shows no possible entry point or anything. Please help, I need to play CD's, radio just doesn't cut it. The radio is a JVC KS-R135.

Thanks,

Malcolm

mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

OK, first off you need to get yourself a screw driver, locate all the screws holding the instrument panel on, and then take off the plastic surrounding the deck.  Once you have that off, you should have a clear view of the obstruction holding in the DIN cage, or the radio in the DIN cage.  After you pull out the din cage, post back here and I'll teach you how to hook up a CD player instead =P

--mindctrl

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Most of these types of decks use "keys" to remove them from the attached din mounting cage. Most times these "keys" are small and thin pieces of metal that slide into the side of the deck between the deck and the cage. Remove the detach face and the trim bezel (the piece that snaps on around the faceplate). Behind the trim bezel is the area where these keys get inserted. Your best bet is to head to a stereo shop and have them remove it with their keys, should only take them a minute to do so, watch they don't charge too much.

Now as far as the last suggestion goes, no offence mindctrl, this will not work in alot of circumstances. In some cases the "prongs" that hold the deck to the cage are attached to the cage, Panasonic comes to mind on some, or the "prongs" are screwed onto the outside of the cd player, Eclipse for example. Taking the faceplate apart may work but I think it is not worth the effort for you. 

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
one_toes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hi. It turns out I just wasn't pulling hard enough on the tape deck knobs. But they do come off, and i pulled it apart and it looks like a Shafted tape deck. But, just as my luck would have it, there is this stupid clear plastic thing, which is screwed on by the bolts on the knob shafts (it looks like it is suppose to keep the deck from falling into the whole in the dash), and I can't get it off! So, I have a new problem this plastic thingy needs to come off, and then this deck should come out. But, the plastic thingy has clips on either side of it, which are incredibly hard to get off. I tried pulling these tabs back, so that the plastic piece could be remove, but with no luck.

Do you figure sawing one clip's supports would hinder the reinstallation of this tape deck, if I ever decide to put it back?

Thanks again.

danxav13 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I say wreck the tape player.  As long as you don't screw up the dash or radio opening. Unless, of course you are attached to it.  Ok also,  that clear plastic "thingy", is it held on the shafts with a nut on each one?  I so, just unscrew the nuts.  I feel so dirty saying all that.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
dremel tool time      its time to get dirty if you decide to get rid of the car to put a inexpensive tape deck in you can find them for less then $30 so i say time to cause some fun destruction
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree with the other posts here that destroying the factory radio is the way to go. For some reason the clips on Tempos and Topazes factory radios get so far into the dash over time that Ford radio keys won't catch them; and you can either spend an hour disassembling the dash to reach the radio from behind, or 5 minutes ripping the front piece off and popping the clips with a couple flathead screwdrivers.
Besides that it's more fun breaking the radio.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
my bad, I missed the part about "NOT A FACTORY RADIO", but I still support breaking it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic