ISO connectors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pintofbestbitte 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

i'm installing a radio to a car that has never had a radio in it before. Its come with an ISO connector and wires coming out of that, but no guide as to what they all do. I'm guessing that two are for power, on is ground and the eight are for speakers, but i'm not sure which is which. Presuamble they're all wired the same way so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a diagram from?

Thanks

John

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
what year and model vehicle is it?
pintofbestbitte 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

It's a 1989 F-Reg Vauxhall Nova. (small hatch sold in UK) Never had a stereo because my parents were too cheap. Now I'm driving it i'm installing a head unit and four speakers. There is NO wiring at all for a stereo. Not even a connector, so I'm starting from scratch.

I was intending to attach the +ve ignition wire directly to the battery (ie so that it can be turned on at any time) - is this a good idea?

Still need a diagram for that ISO connector....

Rgds

J

pintofbestbitte 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Any ideas?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

These guys can help you:

http://www.roybacer.co.uk/

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

You will need 3 wires to get power for your headunit. Constant- Always has power and this is the wire that will supply current to the headunit. Switched - turns on and off with the ignition and will turn the headunit on and off with the ignition. And finally your ground. I would run a constant directly from the + side of the battery (put a 10 amp fuse on the line 18 inches from the battery) that will give you the constant for your headunit. For the switched + 12 volt you will need to tap into a switched ignition source. Now I don’t have a wiring diagram for your car so I can’t tell you what color wire in the ignition harness you will need to tap into. If you have a voltage meter find a wire that has + 12volt when the ignition is on and no power when the ignition is off. When you find the correct wire splice into it and connect it to your switched 12 volt on the radio. For a ground find a good metal surface on the chassis sand it down to clean bare metal and attach a ground wire to it, connect the other end to the ground on your headunit. That will give you all the power you will need for your headunit. For the speaker wires just run them from the back of the head unit to the appropriate speaker location. Cut out the holes for your speakers if need be. Attach your speaker wires to the speakers and then mount the speakers. You should now have some sounds.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn I will be flying up to your neck of the woods later on this afternoon for a few days on a business trip. How’s the weather up there?

These  should be the wire colors on the ISO  of your aftermarket headunit https://www.the12volt.com/request/request2.asp

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Cold and raining right now.  Bring a jacket.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thank's, It's clear and sunny down here ISO connectors -- posted image.

pintofbestbitte 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  

Right thanks for that

Do I *have* to put a 'switched' wire in? I'm not that bothered if the radio is on the whole time? Can I just just wire it with the constantly on wire?

rgs

J

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic